M14 Forum banner

Garand shopping... what to look for?

5K views 55 replies 31 participants last post by  Billj747 
#1 ·
I don't have a Garand, but I want one. I will admit I don't know much about what I should look for, so I am asking Ye knowledgeable folks for guidance.

I want one that is as original as possible. My understanding is it can be pretty hard to find one that has not been re-arsenaled with mixed parts, but maybe that is incorrect.

What are 3-5 things I should look for when buying a Garand? I tried pursuing the search function for such a thread... nada.

#38 ·
+ 1 for CMP. They absolutely stand behind what they sell. I had an issue with one of mine and they sent me a new oprod and gas cylinder after working with a tech on the phone while I checked some specs.FWIW I always put a post-t-note on my orders asking kindly for GI wood if possible and other than a un-issued H&R, they have come through.

#42 ·
the good side of being old

is that i was alive and in a position to buy from the CMP soon after it changed from DCM and Orist Michaels became the man in charge. I only wish i had spent more when they were so cheap. I do have 6, and including one of each manufacturer, a fair amount of 3006 ammo in spam cans, a 1903, and a pair of .30 carbines. When Canada made everyone dispose of Garands, i also grabbed a nice selection of bayonets, not all flavors, but i do have a decent uncut one with an original fiberglass scabbard and some both cut and uncut ones from WWII. I love the manufacturer names like American Fork and Hoe...

#49 ·

Attachments

#56 · (Edited)
What premium does CMP certified guns carry over an M1 of similar quality and condition?

What would a $1,000 CMP service grade go for without the documentation?

I'm looking at buying my first Garand and I went shooting with my friend who is looking at selling both of his. I broke down both guns and clean and lubricated them before we went to the range. They had very minimal wear and he's never fired them in 10-15 years of owning them. They shot GREAT! We put probably 100 rounds through each and hit steel plates at 175 yards on the first shot of each gun, which quickly became boring with how easy and accurate they were. I really fell in love with both of them and have been trying to research what a fair price would be for them.

M1 Tanker:
-.308 caliber criterion barrel
-6 digit Springfield Armory receiver made in February 1942 from my research
-50-652-8287 SUS (Sauer & Sohn) german bolt
-New looking stalk

M1 Garand:
-30-06 no visible marks on the barrel
-SAI 7.1 million serial number (Lithgow is engraved on the side of the receiver below the wood stalk, and ADI Australia is stamped on the under side of the receiver)
-New looking stalk

7 Million Lithgow Receiver -

I understand this was a commercial grade (non USGI) cast receiver. It's not "original" or "real", and they have been said to have such poor manufacturing and tolerances that they aren't safe to fire, can and have failed; but I have yet to see photos of ANY blown up receiver.

I have also struggled to find the answer to if these terrible/dangerous receivers are the ADI/Lithgow stamped receivers or the "Springfield Armory" (SAI) receivers that are in the 7-million serial number and have Lithgow stamped on the side below the stalk, like my friends.

I read that if the serial number is under 7.1 mil, then it is a 80's receiver and have a better reputation as built rifles, while 7.1 mil's and higher are the newer and built in the mid 2000s.

I already shot these and they functioned perfectly. I understand the Tanker may be more valuable and desirable as a "real" Garand, but it's not CMP certified and I really struggle to determine the value of the 7.1 million SAI Garand that's also in great condition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.