M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a Garand, but I want one. I will admit I don't know much about what I should look for, so I am asking Ye knowledgeable folks for guidance.

I want one that is as original as possible. My understanding is it can be pretty hard to find one that has not been re-arsenaled with mixed parts, but maybe that is incorrect.

What are 3-5 things I should look for when buying a Garand? I tried pursuing the search function for such a thread... nada.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Depends. Just looking for a shooter to learn on or a collector piece? I have only two, one is a DCM gun that is a late 5.7 mil H&R receiver with myriad parts, barrel is SA. Excellent rifle. Other is a CMP rifle that came to me via an auction site. SA receiver with new Criterion barrel and mix of parts and new stock.
Had to let Ted Brown work some magic on it to make it function but it does now and is a fun shooter too.
The only neg I have heard on the makers was avoid the International Harvester if possible. My brothers DCM rifle was such and even with some magic pixie dust sprinkled over it, it never really ran right. Others MMV on that one, no doubt.
I think most any old M1 with a decent barrel is worth having. Parts can be swapped out as needed, stocks too. Bedding helps them shoot tighter but for a plinker who cares?
Have fun in the search.

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Only Springfield and Winchester made WWII Garands. For Korea, H&R and IHC joined the group but Win didn't come back.

Getting a WWII "Correct" is hard to do, and takes a book to figure out. WWII guns are also more expensive. Some of the correct stocks can go from $600 to $1k alone.

IHC is hardest to make all correct as most of these were sold to Iran and will not be coming back.

PM sent.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don’t want to write too lengthy a post but I’ll try to sum up a few important points - there are a lot of Garands in a ton of different configurations and builds but they tend to fall into a few groups. First things first there are a few essential questions you will want to answer for yourself.

1: budget?
2: collector or shooter (can be answered by #1 if you don’t have a bit of scratch)?
3: pre-war, WWII, or Post War?

Without going down the rabbit hole here a few generalities:

-Older tends to be more valuable
-much value, if not most, is driven by correctness, originality, and any provenance that places the rifle at certain places and times. Original rifles are extremely rare and valuable, correct rifles not as rare because Garand parts have a broad aftermarket and they aren’t too hard to find to correct the rifle, and are somewhat expensive if not overpriced.
-most rifles you come across will be re-arsenaled mix masters post-war. These were weapons of war owned by the government, who didn’t care of something would have value nearly 80 years down the road...they were refurbished, re-barreled, and re-deployed.
-most Garands at Gun shows are horribly overpriced, perhaps topped only by Cabelas.
-many Garands were loaned to foreign nations. Some of these have become niche collectibles for Garand enthusiasts so there are some oddballs out there that get a little bit of a premium for seemingly silly reasons. Danish and Greek returns are a couple of these groups.

You can spend near $10k+ for a significant rifle with provenance, all the way down to $650 from the CMP for a rack or special ($100 more) that have new wood and barrels. It all depends on what you want!

·
Registered
531 Posts
The CMP forum's Garand M1 section has a ton of info as well -

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7

There are a TON of fakes out there for sale. Fake catrouches are getting better as well. You need to be careful, especially if it sounds too good.

There are a few threads covering guns for sale that don't add up. Some sold for big bucks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Buy from CMP, you'll get a working rifle that they'll stand behind. Buy from a LGS or Gun Show and you might get lucky or you might get hosed. I've trusted CMP and never been wrong. I even got to build my own at their Advanced Maintenance Class in 2015 from refurb parts, a first-rate Nov. 1943 reparkerized receiver (SA 2,222,) as near 1943 correct as I could get from the parts bin from which the AMC lets you choose. Great shooter, sentimental favorite...my Dad carried one in the South Pacific in 1943-45.

Cheers,

Harry

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Reactions: M11293

·
Registered
401 Posts
Service Grade from CMP.

I like the post WWII Garands. I'm a shooter, not a collector.

#1 choice would be a high SN SA. All the changes that were thought up were done on these. No war time rush. My nicest Garand.

#2 would be H&R. I saw a picture of the factory somewhere and there was a poster on the wall that said something like: "Build them like your loved one is going to be using it." I like mine.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you just want a M1 garand to have one a cmp service grade is very hard to beat. You might get one with a new stock or request a GI stock and luck out if you get one.
Unless your collecting i see no real reason to have a "correct" M1 plus a authentic correct grade will be tough to prove unless its new/unissued in the wrap.
Case in point I know 5 old timers who for many years bought their quota of garands every year and they would get together and strip off any "rare" parts
By the time they where done stripping swapping trading parts with each other they would have several "correct" rifles. Often they would sell the parts and every few years you would see receivers and barreled receivers up for sale.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Mr. Orlando showed off his collectible recently. CMP has some late model S.A. Garands that were never issued, still in wrap, which they auction off. He put in a bid of around +/- $3400. He won the auction. That's a collectible that he says will never be fired and I can see why. One thing to note as someone said, there are a lot of fakes out there as well as people trying to pass off an SAI Garand as a government M1. They're not. M1 production ended around ser#6.1mil and change. SAI started their production with cast receivers in the early 80's and ran until about 2002. SAI started their ser.# at 7mil. I've had guys at gunshows swear and insist their is USGI. Didn't want to admit they got taken. I do own two Garands. One is a WW-2 S.A. with a ser.# 308xxxx. A July/August '44 build date, and a '55 H.R. in the 5.69xxx, which I picked up off a forum member. Barrel has a 10/55 stamped. Both are in 7.62mm. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Mr. Orlando showed off his collectible recently. CMP has some late model S.A. Garands that were never issued, still in wrap, which they auction off. He put in a bid of around +/- $3400. He won the auction. That's a collectible that he says will never be fired and I can see why. One thing to note as someone said, there are a lot of fakes out there as well as people trying to pass off an SAI Garand as a government M1. They're not. M1 production ended around ser#6.1mil and change. SAI started their production with cast receivers in the early 80's and ran until about 2002. SAI started their ser.# at 7mil. I've had guys at gunshows swear and insist their is USGI. Didn't want to admit they got taken. I do own two Garands. One is a WW-2 S.A. with a ser.# 308xxxx. A July/August '44 build date, and a '55 H.R. in the 5.69xxx, which I picked up off a forum member. Barrel has a 10/55 stamped. Both are in 7.62mm. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1
Last sentence brings to mind another question. .308 or .30-06? I know the .308 M1 has been developed over the years to be safe and reliable, but for me an M1 Garand is a .30-06, no two ways about it. We have the M14 for .308 Win.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't have a Garand, but I want one. I will admit I don't know much about what I should look for, so I am asking Ye knowledgeable folks for guidance.

I want one that is as original as possible. My understanding is it can be pretty hard to find one that has not been re-arsenaled with mixed parts, but maybe that is incorrect.

What are 3-5 things I should look for when buying a Garand? I tried pursuing the search function for such a thread... nada.
My neighbor is selling one. It seems correct to me. No rust or pitting, good bore, ME and TE under 3. Emcf stock approved by Rick B. Uncut op rod. Let me know if you are still looking and I can get him in touch with you.

·
Registered
628 Posts

What you really need to decide is: what do you want your first M1 Garand for?

Do you want to shoot it extensively, run it hard, and maybe compete with it in Vintage Service Rifle Matches, such as the John C. Garand matches held at Camp Perry every year?

Or, do you want an M1 that has significant 'collectibility value,' due to its make, configuration, and build-era, and thus will become a non-shooter Safe Queen once you acquire it?

What are 3-5 things I should look for when buying a Garand?
Again, do you want a shooter? Or one that serves merely as a collectible piece of American military history?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Most Garands have gone through at least one arsenal rebuild. Truly original guns are very rare and very expensive, and you need documentation with them to show they are authentic. Garands only have serial numbers on the receiver, and a series of drawing numbers on other parts. However, a range of drawing numbers can be correct for any given production date because of the way they were assembled. Therefore, it is virtually impossible to authenticate an original Garand by looking at it. You need documentation stating it was found in a dusty corner of some arsenal in its original cosmoline, or some such.

The CMP is the way to go for non-experts. They repair and function check the guns, and they stand behind them. Their prices are very reasonable. If possible, go to one of their stores and pick out your rifle. This is how I got my Service Grade years ago. Garands are typically over priced at gun shows, and often worn. Regardless of where you get yours, it may need a spring kit, so factor that into your budget.

The good news is that if you know your M14, you have a running start at the Garand. Many of the inspection procedures are the same or similar. There are lots of YouTube videos to help get you up to speed.

Lastly, give some serious consideration to the 7.62 NATO, even though it isn't original. (The US did convert many Garands after the cartridge was adopted though.) 7.62 NATO service ammunition is more accurate than the .30-06 loaded to service specs. It is also cheaper, and you probably have plenty on hand for your M14. Just stay away from .30-06 guns with a 7.62 NATO barrel sleeve. They don't work well and are best left for collectors. Get one with a 7.62 NATO chamber if you are going to go that route.

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy a great piece of American history.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Service Grade M1 Garand on order at the CMP. It's taking forever to process. I submitted my order last month and as of 02/13 they started processing. I'm hoping it ships out sometime this week. My patience is wearing thin.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have a Service Grade M1 Garand on order at the CMP. It's taking forever to process. I submitted my order last month and as of 02/13 they started processing. I'm hoping it ships out sometime this week. My patience is wearing thin.
Really? It used to take up to a year and you didn't get a choice of grades. If you would read on the forum by the order page it clearly states that "most" orders ship in 2-4 weeks. Sounds like your order is processing in that timeframe

1 - 20 of 56 Posts