M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 'correct grade' Garand received from CMP. I have fired it once, cleaning and reassembling it. At a later time, I disassembled and oiled it. However, I can not complete the reassembly. Trigger guard resists closing.

I have disassembled and reassembled several times with the same result.

What am I doing wrong ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Assuming that you assembled it correctly it should take a moderate amount of force to close the trigger guard. Some require more force to lock up than others and with a correct grade with a relatively fresh stock I would expect it to take more force to close.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You may have installed the hammer incorrectly. If you release the hammer will it recock by pulling the trigger guard forward. If not the hammer is installed incorrectly. There is a tab(stud) on the trigger guard that must rest behind the hammer.

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
Make sure hammer is cocked and safety clicked to the rear. Press heel of receiver against stock when inserting triggergroup with triggerguard swung forward. When triggergroup is inserted all the way, swing triggerguard to the rear while pressing heel of receiver against the stock. It may take nominal pressure to lock in the guard.

Don't hit it with a mallet!

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
I don't need a reference. You should be able to lock a CMP triggergroup with your own strength. If he has something amiss, and he hits it with a mallet, he may bend or break something.
Especially noting that he apparently had it apart before without this issue.

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
The guy in that CMP thread with sense is the one that says if you have to hit it with a hammer...something is TOO tight. If you have attempted to install a new aftermarket stock and not fitted it right, it may be too tight to close the guard. Adjustment is needed.
A "correct grade" CMP rifle will be in the original GI correct stock. It will not be THAT tight.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The references are for the op, not you.

I don't need a reference. You should be able to lock a CMP triggergroup with your own strength. If he has something amiss, and he hits it with a mallet, he may bend or break something.
Especially noting that he apparently had it apart before without this issue.

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
The references are for the op, not you.
The OP may not be able to discern bad intel. I've been collecting and shooting Garands for 38 years. I'm trying to keep him from making a mistake.
Backtrack, confirm assembly and technique. Don't force anything.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
It is possible to use a mallet, especially a rubber one, like suggested, without swinging for the Moon.

But, yes, this is after making sure that it is, indeed, assembled correctly and ready to snap together.

Reactions: Sgt Nambu and Duce

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
The guy in that CMP thread with sense is the one that says if you have to hit it with a hammer...something is TOO tight. If you have attempted to install a new aftermarket stock and not fitted it right, it may be too tight to close the guard. Adjustment is needed.
A "correct grade" CMP rifle will be in the original GI correct stock. It will not be THAT tight.
I've received more than one CMP M1 that came with new wood, and the only way to get the trigger group re-situated was with either a rubber mallet or placing the trigger guard against the bench and pushing downward real hard on the forward hand guard and butt.

Also, "Correct grade" just means that all the parts are of the same mfg and dated approximate with the serial on the receiver; nothing more. While it should also come with the "correct" stock, that doesn't mean that that particular stock was always with that particular receiver/trigger group.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Remove the receiver from the stock, and try to install and latch the trigger group in the bare receiver. If it doesn't lock closed that way, you'll be able to see more clearly.

Does the receiver fit fully on the stock when the trigger group is not installed - or perhaps the heal of receiver is about 1/8 inch above the stock?
If the receiver is higher than that, check that the 'follower rod' at the end of the oprod spring is installed with the 'hump' DOWN - you need to grab it on the far end near the hooks to install it - and keep your other hand safely clear in case it slips.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
I've received more than one CMP M1 that came with new wood, and the only way to get the trigger group re-situated was with either a rubber mallet or placing the trigger guard against the bench and pushing downward real hard on the forward hand guard and butt.

Also, "Correct grade" just means that all the parts are of the same mfg and dated approximate with the serial on the receiver; nothing more. While it should also come with the "correct" stock, that doesn't mean that that particular stock was always with that particular receiver/trigger group.
Duce,
From the original post, he had it apart before and reassembled it without this issue.
Come on guys.
I'm not saying a mallet is totally out of order, but in this case I think it is. Again, if you HAVE to use a mallet, you're either too weak or something is too tight. If you know it's all squared away, and you want to whack it....go ahead....it's yer gun.
It's quite possible he is doing something wrong, or has something out of place. I wouldn't suggest beating it with a mallet.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
We can help, but.......

I have a 'correct grade' Garand received from CMP. I have fired it once, cleaning and reassembling it. At a later time, I disassembled and oiled it. However, I can not complete the reassembly. Trigger guard resists closing.

I have disassembled and reassembled several times with the same result.

What am I doing wrong ?
Trying to diagnose a problem with the facts presented leads to assumptions that could or could not be correct.

It would be helpful if you could post some pictures of the rifle out of the stock, the trigger group out of the stock, the rifle in the stock and the rifle in the stock with the trigger group in.

This need to know information (pictures) will assists in the answer and reduce the tension between members.

Thanks

Jim

Reactions: MAC702

·
Registered
2 Posts
to say something

Hii
Welcome to this forum site, here you can find lots of thing ,I suggest you ,for your question you have to contact any other expert , right now ,I have no knowledge about your query sorry for that

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I'm not saying a mallet is totally out of order, but in this case I think it is. Again, if you HAVE to use a mallet, you're either too weak or something is too tight.
Well, the way your response initially read, using a mallet is always out of order. I was merely pointing out, along the same lines as MAC702, that a mallet is in fact sometimes needed, especially with new wood.

As for the OP, who knows. As jake2far pointed out, there really isn't much information to go on. For example, we don't know how much more travel is needed in the trigger guard to close. Is it touching but not locking up? Is it almost touching but the last few millimeters of travel are too hard (wherein the use of a mallet could do the trick)? Or is the trigger guard sitting nearly open and won't travel at all? What about the stock itself? What were the conditions when it was last locked up? Was it bone dry then and now maybe has taken on some moisture and expanded? What was lock-up like before? Again, hard to troubleshoot something when the only pieces of relevant information are that it closed before, and now it's resisting.

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
Make sure hammer is cocked and safety clicked to the rear. Press heel of receiver against stock when inserting triggergroup with triggerguard swung forward. When triggergroup is inserted all the way, swing triggerguard to the rear while pressing heel of receiver against the stock. It may take nominal pressure to lock in the guard.

Don't hit it with a mallet!
My initial response was a quick attempt to stop him from doing that after getting the previous advise. My very next post goes into something being possibly wrong.
Maybe we should read all previous posts before making ours. GI2
I try to make any advise I give a concern for 1) Safety and 2) Not dicking anything up.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Smack it with a rubber mallet! Not to hard just right.
Iam assuming you greased it with out taking apart the trigger group.

Just make sure the hammer is back and it fits all the way up there with out popping the receiver up. The then push it closed and If you are talking about like a inch to close. Smack it in. Try with hand first or using a cleaning rod in the hole for prying it open and shut.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts