M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a good friend who owns an old war horse Garand ...

Not exactly sure what manufacture or year and what the parts consist of.

Anyhow ... He's been having a slight problem in that after the 2nd or 3rd round (usually happens after 2 rounds fire) it will chamber the next round but will not fire. There is a slight indent in the primer but no go ... He then will eject unfired round and chamber another ... Sometimes that one will fire and sometimes it won't ...

Any ideas where the problem would be ... ???

I'm thinking maybe a weak firing pin spring ... ?????

Does this "all the time" and not just ocassionally ... Other than that she runs like a dream ...

Any thoughts ... :roll:

Thanks,

Six

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha SixT:

The M1 Garand doesn't use a firing pin spring per se, but uses inertia from the hammer hitting the firing pin to give it the thrust to contact and set off the primer. But you may be on the right track... (but God knows I ain't saavy on the M1 Garand so... please take with a grain of salt)...

The springs in the trigger assembly are simple to check/replace and should be in everyone's spare parts bin. I would check/replace the springs in the trigger assembly (probably old and worth replacing), and inspect the bolt. The firing pin itself may be old and out of spec and is also very easy to change/replace. While you're there I would check the ejector and extractor for wear/damage.

So if it is an ignition problem, I would think that these are the main components involved in that.

Just as an aside, it may be worth it to replace all the springs in an M1 Garand or to at least check them for wear/tear and to see if still in spec.

I hope this helps some... these are some thoughts that I had in reading this thread.

Good Luck! Sorry, my AOL is flaky and not running.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Howdy Six

If you have another Garand, try swappin out trigger groups. First thing the book says is broken hammer spring. Might have some crud in there, new group would let you examine the old one.
Another is the firing pin, stuck or broken, if you have the Kuhnhausen manual these are on page 189. HTH

I'll try to email a scan of the page.

Tatonka

·
Registered
947 Posts
Assuming the hammer is falling, and not riding the bolt shut, the first thing to check is proper cleaning and lubrication. To include, in this case, stripping the bolt and cleaning the firing pin and internal passages. While the bolt is apart compare the length of the firing pin to your spare pin.

Broken hammer spring is the next suspect.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
132 Posts
The possible causes mentioned above are the most likely. There is at least one other possibility though. If the bolt is not going completely into battery, but is almost there, sometimes the hammer will fall. In that case the forward thrust of the hammer is spent closing the bolt without enough oomph left to fire the cartridge. This seems to more common in well worn rifles.
Just something else to look at.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.