M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just received my first Garand a couple weeks ago ... a "Special" from the CMP. As you might guess, I'm itching to shoot it. Since the CMP recommends having the gun inspected by a gunsmith before shooting it, I'm trying to find someone good here in central VA. My first thought was Gus Fisher. I sent him an email a week ago but haven't heard back yet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Perhaps just strip it down, clean it, lubricate and take it out shooting.

This is a special with a new barrel I assume. Maybe check the headspace and have at it.

Reactions: Gillman

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Gillman, go to the Richmond Gun Show at the Raceway the weekend of the 31st of January. Gus always has a table there inspecting Garands, taking in work, and generally chatting up his customers. He'll also tell you all about your Garand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Yes, the specials have a new barrel and new stock.

That's a good idea about looking him up at the next gun show. I've spoken with him at previous shows, but didn't see him at the last one I attended, though that one was at the Meadow Event Park.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Gillman, that was a ridiculously small show. We overheard from one of the vendors that the reason is was so poorly attended by other vendors was that SGK was having "the big gun show" at Fredericksburg the next weekend. She said many vendors she knew would be attending the next show since it was only a week later and the building was much bigger.

Gus is usually at the Race Track shows in Richmond, VA. Can't say he attends the other ones but I may have seen him at Hampton and Fredericksburg once or twice. He's usually so busy I don't interrupt him just to say hello.

Reactions: Gillman

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Am a bit confused as to having the rifle inspected by gunsmith prior to shooting IF your rifle is a CMP Special version. That level of Garand is built by CMP to a quality standard very able to shoot with only basic cleaning out the bore to make sure it is not packed with grease, etc. New barrel properly installed, all parts, components inspected for suitability, new stock, mostly GI parts with some commercial produced parts, etc., etc. and the ones I have used are very accurate with good loads. I was not aware that CMP would advise seeking out a gunsmith's review prior to shooting, but perhaps things have changed and I am in the dark here??

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Are you kidding? Too many shows (I never thought I'd say that) in VA. Chantilly last weekend, Dale City this weekend, Fisherville/ Hampton the following weekend, and then Richmond after that. There's gotta be at least one gun show somewhere in the state every weekend for the rest of the year. Vendors are complaining sales are down. I tell them nothing forces you to attend each show except the loss of your tables. Your call.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Am a bit confused as to having the rifle inspected by gunsmith prior to shooting IF your rifle is a CMP Special version. That level of Garand is built by CMP to a quality standard very able to shoot with only basic cleaning out the bore to make sure it is not packed with grease, etc. New barrel properly installed, all parts, components inspected for suitability, new stock, mostly GI parts with some commercial produced parts, etc., etc. and the ones I have used are very accurate with good loads. I was not aware that CMP would advise seeking out a gunsmith's review prior to shooting, but perhaps things have changed and I am in the dark here??
Part of the reason for my question is that I have no experience with this type of firearm, so I am being extra cautious. My previous experience is with shotguns, revolvers, and small caliber rifles.

The information from the CMP is somewhat conflicting. On the one hand, their web site says:

Each M1 Garand rifle sold by CMP is an authentic U.S. Government rifle that has been inspected, headspaced, repaired if necessary and test fired for function.

So I figured I’d be ready for the range in no time ... especially since it’s a “Special”. But on page two of the manual that came with the rifle there’s a large section with “WARNING” in big red letters that states in part:

… Do not use this rifle until it has been disassembled and thoroughly cleaned, and carefully examined by a competent gunsmith familiar with its internal mechanism and the design of its safety features. …

The other reason I thought perhaps I should have it checked out is this: I purchased eight A-Zoom dummy rounds so I could become familiar with the operation of the rifle before using live ammo. Loading the eight round clip works fine, and the first round in chambered as expected. Cycling the operating rod ejects the first round fine and chambers the second round. So far so good. However, the next time I pull back the operating rod handle the second round is not ejected. I expect this is either due to an error in my handling or understanding. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Quick check on the timing is to load an empty en bloc clip and then pull back on the op-rod. If she pings out with good force than you should be good to go.

Learn to disassemble and assemble the rifle by watching YouTube videos.

4 part Brownells M1 series of videos

Part 1: Disassembly
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq4wpB9MZ-4[/ame]

Part 2: Clean
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJhdW7tGR7w[/ame]

Part 3: Lubricate
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKUI-pzLbzA[/ame]

Part 4: Reassembly
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JywNIjmr1Ro[/ame]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Where are you located in Va. I live a few minutes south of Richmond and could help you out with checking the m1 over and showing you how to dis-assemble and operate your new M1. Just let me know.

Danny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.