M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of groups does your Service Grade or Rack Grade M1 Garand shoot at 100 yards with loose packed HXP ball sold by the CMP?

How does your Garand shoot with Lake City ball?

How does your Garand shoot with ammunition you can pick up at the local Wal-Mart or other retail store?

If you have a match rifle or are shooting tailored reloads, that is not the information I want. I would like to know how your Service or Rack Grade Garand shoots with mass produced ammunition available from CMP or a local retail store.

Keep it honest fellas. If you shoot nine 4" groups with your Garand, then shoot one 2-1/2" group, please post both results.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I don't have a lot of data. My JCG Garand has been gone through to make sure all the as issued enhancements that can be made have been made and it has an excellent barrel. It is essentially a very nice SG (USMC 0-66).

Best I have shot with HXP is a 99 at 100 yd prone slow fire. I do crack the rounds. Run them all through my seating die to get them to the same OAL and break the sealant. Not sure if that helps or if it is just a mental thing but I do it to any military I shoot in a match.

My perception is that I do not get as good a groups from the Lake City. But, I don't have near as much of it so don't shoot it that often.

·
Registered
221 Posts
HRA special grade out of the box HXP 4"-5" @ 100 off bench 8shot groups
best (only measurable) @ 200 yards 11.5" off bench 8 shot groups
Pulled bullets and replaced with Nosler 155 CC (only change) 1.7" -2.25" @ 100 5shot groups
My rifle however has been one of what Gus called his "1 out of 800" rifles. Everything in it has been replaced at least once...happy to say last match all rounds in rapids fed flawless.
Now addressing shooter position problems.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My DCM M1 would shoot about 11 inches at 200 yards, prone slow fire with a sling, using LC M2 ball. 10 shots.

In the late 90's, when our local club started shooting JC Garand matches, I tried at least a dozen CMP rifles AS ISSUED (not after being worked on). My 10 round groups were 14-19 inches at 200 yards. With "groups" that big, I couldn't see any difference between LC, HXP or Korean ammo.

I gave up on AS ISSUED and tried AFTER WORKED ON (Good barrel, tightened gas cylinder, tight fitting stock not touching the op- rod). The local match used HXP and that's what I tried. It would mostly stay in the 10 ring at 200 yards (7 inches) with one or two out in the 9 ring.

Then they let us use hand loads...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Louis, seems you do not understand AS ISSUED (as you feel the need to shout it for some reason) means according to the CMP rules. All of the items you describe are legal in the JCG as issued condition matches as sanctioned by the CMP. I don't think I would refer to the CMP as 'issuing' rifles. They inspect, replace what is necessary and sell. They are not making an attempt to ensure the maximum effectiveness of the firearm just ensure that it functions safely (although I have gotten CMP guns that did not headspace no doubt because of an almost new barrel).

As issued refers more to the parts (no NM sights, medium or heavy weight barrels, etc.) used than whether or not you decide to leave the gun in less than optimal working order. Of course more extensive accuracy work like bedding the stock is also not as issued. I have to admit I do not understand why shimming the TG is not legal but I can go buy a new stock and fit it for optimal lock-up but I don't write the rules.

And, hand loads are legal in JCG matches which is what I shoot if I want to tighten things up more (155g Sierra CC).

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
100 yds
8rds
off bench
HXP M2ball
rifle always throws the first rd
About as good as you can expect with surplus ammo

If that's a SR-1 repair center, then that is what I am seeing at 100 yards. Shooting prone, my scores are ranging from 92-1X to 96-2X. I shot a 97-3X the other day, but I think it was a fluke.

I am shooting mixed headstamp HXP I purchased from CMP and the years range from 1965 to 1982. Some sound and feel a little hot and an occasional round will sound and feel a little weak. Maybe I need to sort them by year of mfg.

Please keep the posts with your real world experience coming.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My M1 that I put together with new old parts groups 3"-4" at 100 yards with the loose HXP . I haven't tried anything else through it yet , going to try some reloads with 168's for the matches next year.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gentlemen,

I had not thought of sorting the loose packed HXP by year on the headstamp until after this thread was started. Some years appear to be loaded hotter than others. I pulled three random bullets and measured charge weights. All ammunition had ball powder and the charge weights ran from 52.2g to 54.5g. This could definitely affect group size.

I sorted some of my HXP that I purchased from CMP by year on the headstamp.

This is the group I shot today at 100 yards with HXP 78 ball ammunition.

·
Registered
220 Posts
"The Riflemyn is a person capable of hitting 20 inch targets from 500 meters with standard, rack grade equipment and ammunition." Becoming a Riflemyn, page one, paragraph one.

This, because a human-sized target is ~20 inches across, and even a 4 MOA standard, rack grade weapon is still accurate within 20 inches at 500 meters (i.e. 1 MOA @ 500 meters is ~5 inches, so 4 MOA would be ~20 inches). You've got a 2.27 MOA rifle there, with that ammo, capable of ~12 inch accuracy at 500 meters. So you're GTG I think. GI2

Nice shooting!

Reactions: SRA

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Don't really shoot HXP for groups at 100.

The two Garand matches I shot this year were both shot with mixed year HXP. I shot a 98 this spring and a 96 today (both in prone). In both of the targets groups were in the upper portion of the 10 ring (nothing below the 9-6 o'clock line). Barrel is a Criterion. I do use a .52 non-hooded rear sight.

This thread has me thinking I need to take a hair off the front sight and come down a click and see if I can get it centered on that x ring. 1 click lower puts me at the bottom of the 10 with the majority in the 9 ring.

A lot of people pooo on M2. Granted there is some serious lot variance. For CMP matches...it's close to perfect for the effort put into it..

If your really concerned about stuff, and have some time, I assume one could pull bullets, get the powder to a tighter deviation, reset bullet, then weigh and sort finished round. Seems like a lot of work vs just loading the empties with a decent bullet.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I was snooping around and just saw this thread,,good stuff ! Here is my 2cents worth,my rifle is a 43 Springer but it has a New Criterion BBL on it,,its several years old form New now but still shoots good,or should I say good enough. GI1 Here is some HXP from 1970. I don't remember if I did it with this range trip or not but a lot of times I "crack" the sealant on these rounds,,I put them in my press and just push the bullet enough to break the sealant that is 30++ years old. Most time I notice a slight improvement in my groups, give it a try guys.

The 1st group is a bit better than the 2nd one, but hey all in the Black,,that's good enough for me.
And a shot of the rifle. RNGR2

·
Registered
40 Posts
My HRA service grade will keep all 8 on a 8" steel plate at 200yds. ..My IHC, Springfield & Win. will keep 5 or 6 on it if I do my job....shooting HXP from the CMP.... I love to hear that ring when bullet hits steel ! ..take care

1 - 20 of 31 Posts