M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the post man delivered the best early birthday present I could ask for...my first Garand Kid. HRA Special Grade SN:56611XX from the CMP.

Unfortunately, I could not be there for the delivery, duty calls and I answered! GI5

I apologize for the picture quality, my father was as excited as I was about the delivery and I think he rushed the pictures a bit before emailing them to me.

I know the HRA Garands were post war, but how do I find out exactly what year and month my reciever was created? or is it just a general timeframe?

I am planning on keeping the stain (I am a fan of the color as is) but will definitely finish my stock with one of the numerous oils that keep cropping up on here. Any recommendations as to the best oil finish? I am not too concerned with it looking exactly "GI" but I do not want a gloss finish either.

Cannot wait to get home and dissassemble her a couple times and then shoot the heck out of her! GI2

Eddard

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Reactions: Eddard Stark

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice looking rifle! 1955?

I've used pure tung oil (POT) and boiled linseed oil (BLO), both USGI finishes.

http://usriflecal30m1.com/ProductionGraph.aspx
Thank you! I was thinking around that timeframe, I had explored around that site before but did not find that page! I have heard BLO can get sticky in the humidity?...Ohio and Kentucky are pretty humid during spring and summer

Congrats Eddard ... she looks nice!
I sure think so too! I need to hear a couple pings for the complete satisfaction to set in.

Nice rifle. Looks like it was built between 2/54 & 12/56.
Thanks Hammer. Did you pull those dates from a certain database or just prior knowledge?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Doesn't H&R rifles have a Julian date stamped in the barrel channel of the stock? Of course, this won't help if the stock is not original to the receiver.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't H&R rifles have a Julian date stamped in the barrel channel of the stock? Of course, this won't help if the stock is not original to the receiver.
Unfortunately, the stock is a new production Walnut stock from the CMP.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Looks beautiful!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I have heard BLO can get sticky in the humidity?...Ohio and Kentucky are pretty humid during spring and summer
Absolutly not, once BLO is dry it is dry. I live in Oohio and have refinished many dozens or Garand , carbine and M14 stocks with BLO.
You apply BLO and let it set 30 minutes and then COMPLETELY wipe it off. Let stock set overnight and repeat over and over untilyou rae happywith reseults.
If anyone gets a sticky finish with BLO its becuase they do not wipe offALL of the BLO. Leaving stock wetand it will get sticky
Be sure and dispose of rags properly as suggested or they can combust

·
Registered
129 Posts
Absolutly not, once BLO is dry it is dry. I live in Oohio and have refinished many dozens or Garand , carbine and M14 stocks with BLO.
You apply BLO and let it set 30 minutes and then COMPLETELY wipe it off. Let stock set overnight and repeat over and over untilyou rae happywith reseults.
If anyone gets a sticky finish with BLO its becuase they do not wipe offALL of the BLO. Leaving stock wetand it will get sticky
Be sure and dispose of rags properly as suggested or they can combust
Don't store the used rags in a glass jar either.

Orlando, are you from Westlake?

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Nice looking HRA. Stock set looks great. Bet she shoots well too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I second the boiled linseed oil. And yes, be sure to properly dispose of the rags - I actually had some start heavily smoldering once!
I will remember that! Any thoughts on Tru Oil, Teak Oil, or Tung Oil as an alternative?

I know a lot of it comes down to personal choice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts