M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 1942 SA Garand to the range yesterday to shoot it for first time. I first tried to shoot by loading 1 round at a time(as recommended by my gunsmith) but it failed to fire. I loaded an 8 round clip and it shot fine. I assumed it has a lot of throat wear but not sure if that could cause this.
Any one have any idea why this happened?

It also seemed to shoot high and to right.

Other than this, it was a blast to shoot.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
Were you gently closing the bolt (holding on to the operating rod handle while closing the bolt)?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Place an enbloc in the action, then before you lock it in put a single round in it and seat the clip. Then let the bolt fly. You want the bolt to fully rotate into the closed position. You can convert an enbloc clip for single loading if you need to. Instructions are on the web or you can buy one already converted. I think it's a SLED.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Single Load Enhancement Device, hence SLED. They are not expensive and permits you to single load as w/ M14 by placing single round in magazine. The SLED is inserted just like the std. enbloc clip and to remove there is a small tab on left side looking down into action. Point of bullet pushing the tab to the right will permit it to be removed when not used. Also can purchase 2 round clip and both of these are common with XC shooters for slow fire single load, or by using 2 round and then std. 8 for those positions requiring 10 rounds. With a little practice you can use the std. clip for 2 rnds. by making X w/ two cartridges pressed into the clip. Simpler to get the 2 round version.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I used to make SLEDs and give them away before they got rather expensive. Ray-Vin published some instructions online and are what I used to make mine. A cutting wheel and a Dremel tool is all that is required.

·
Registered
977 Posts
+1..quite a few make the mistake of not letting it close without easing it forward.
Yup, let that sucker fly home, just keep your thumb clear.
If you have any doubts, pop the rod handle forward to make sure the bolt gets seated and locked in.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Concur. When I single-load, I put the round mostly into the chamber, then lower the bolt to about half-way. From there, I let go and it fully chambers and closes, ready to fire.

I lower the bolt about half way because it will not see the friction of stripping the round out of the clip, which is still the proper way to load it, of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts