M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with/comment on Golani Arms .223 Galil Sporter?

My specific question is the stiffness of the safety lever. I initially thought it was related to refinishing and just needed use. Now I wonder. I am an arthritic old man and it may just be the way they are.

Any experience? Comments?

I want to want to like the rifle. Truth is it's just too heavy and cumbersome for the cartridge. IMO. Of course I am sure you could drive a tank over it and it would not bend, never mind break.

Not really a question for M1A/M14 folks but I'd appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Right side safety? Like the AK, it can be stiff because of the finish and part fitment. It’s a USA receiver with foreign parts. Most have a scratch line where the safety goes up and down. I’d let it wear in on the finish first.

I always chuckle when I hear the story that the Israelis wanted something lighter than their FN FAL. The Galil is very heavy, especially with the bipods and was only slightly lighter than the FAL. And they went from 7.62 to 5.56. The classic example of a solution in search of a problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right side safety? Like the AK, it can be stiff because of the finish and part fitment. It’s a USA receiver with foreign parts. Most have a scratch line where the safety goes up and down. I’d let it wear in on the finish first.

I always chuckle when I hear the story that the Israelis wanted something lighter than their FN FAL. The Galil is very heavy, especially with the bipods and was only slightly lighter than the FAL. And they went from 7.62 to 5.56. The classic example of a solution in search of a problem.
Thanks for the input. I believe you're right. I hadn't considered the US made receiver, which explains the tight fit. That explains it perfectly.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
In some AK variants the safety just remains too stiff
The drag/friction is directly related to how firmly the exterior safety arm is pressed against the receiver.
If it doesn't smooth out/loosen up, then you can "carefully" pry the exterior arm away from the receiver to relieve a "minute" amount of the pressure. This should be done in tiny increments and tested often, till it just starts to get to a reasonable pressure/drag.

If you go too far, just do a search for how to remove the safety lever and re-bend it back slightly towards the receiver and start tuning again.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Israel encountered problems with the FAL and sand in 1967 war. The Galil is based on the Finnish Valmet which is based on the AK47. The AK47 design works well in sandy conditions. The safety of the AK47/AKM is both stiff and noisy. A gunsmith familiar with the AK47/AKM may be able to loosen the safety up for you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In some AK variants the safety just remains too stiff
then you can "carefully" pry the exterior arm away from the receiver to relieve a "minute" amount of the pressure.
I've broken a couple of Galil safties on military rifles doing exactly that. The safety arm is a stiff spring and can easily break if "straightened" carelessly.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have two IMI Galils and one made from an Ohio Rapid Fire receiver. I almost always use the safety on the starboard side, like a regular AK. The thumb safety works "backwards" to my intuition and is stiff on my IMIs. On my US made after-market receiver, the safety is much looser (un-painted rifle) and I had to tweak it a bit to keep it from jumping out of the fire position and causing failures to fire. I made the notch in the receiver deeper, as well as the dimple on the lever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts