M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering trading for one.

I know absolutely nothing if this rifle, and was hoping my brothers here could offer some opinions and insight.

The rifle I'm considering is supposedly only been test fired.

Appears to be a standard configuration with a folding stock and comes with 5 magazines.

Does it use the STANAG NATO magazine (AR15, M16, etc)? If not, what about availability?

I'm thinking on letting a 1911 go for this one.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Like a Century Golani Sporter? I would read some reviews about them first. Caveat emptor.

I also have to say, add me to the list as one of those who have bought a Century product but never will again. I had a Century VZ2008 that had a nicely machined receiver but the front sight was canted so badly, even with the front sight drifted as far over as it would go, it would group 2" to the right at 25yds. Sold it and all the ammo to someone and will never look twice at a Century product again. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If it is a Israeli import golani then they are great rifles, and there is a collector market for them. If it is a Century golani run away! Century golani's have problems, I would not bother with one myself.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to find out if it's a Century rifle...

According to the owner it's been checked over by a local armorer that knows these rifles. I'm aware of the shop referenced, and they have a good reputation, so we'll see.

These are the opinions I was after. Thanks so much gentleman.

Any more input?

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Like a Century Golani Sporter? I would read some reviews about them first. Caveat emptor.

I also have to say, add me to the list as one of those who have bought a Century product but never will again. I had a Century VZ2008 that had a nicely machined receiver but the front sight was canted so badly, even with the front sight drifted as far over as it would go, it would group 2" to the right at 25yds. Sold it and all the ammo to someone and will never look twice at a Century product again. Good luck!
I've got to agree with you Century is not rated high on my list, Years ago I once bought a L1A1 [inch pattern FAL] NIB for a big discount because the front sight was canted 5/6 degrees off level. Knowing what was wrong and how to fix it , it turned out to be a great deal for me. Sometimes I wonder if they have only 1 competent gunsmith working part time and the rest of there "shop help" is overpaid @ minimum wage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a Century Sporter . It ran ok and was a decent build but I didnt keep it around long. Heavy and not as accurate as an AR but still a unique rifle. Century quality varies a lot so I 'd take a good long look before I traded for it .

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I bought a Century Golani Galil about five years ago. Pretty much bought it to resell it, the writing WAS on the wall after all. I have always wanted a Galil, preferably in 7.62 and a paratrooper model. I doubled my money during the height of "The Scare" and was happy to see it go. It just FELT like it was built by Century.

If you are serious about the rifle, do a little research. As I remember, there were good and "bad" receivers depending on when they were made. Some had problems with soft lugs peening and being set back. Find that info and you should be able to tell by the serial range if I remember right.

They are basically an improved AK, redesigned by the Israelis for better function.(And NATO ammunition, in this case 5.56) They use proprietary magazines and they usually are $30-40 each. At least last I checked. A lot of guys replaced or reshaped/polished the feed ramp, just to get the Century guns to feed right.

If you are interested in it, DO NOT buy it without insisting on test firing it. That really is the only way to be sure whether you got a Century lemon, or something you might actually be able to work with. OH...and look into what I mentioned about the receivers. You used to be able to find replacement receivers, but as Im sure you can imagine, that is NOT cheap. All said...you might get a fun little rifle, or it could be a major project barely worth its parts. Really just depends when it was made, and whether it was a Mon-Thur gun built by a halfway decent smith, or a Friday gun built by a shop hack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts