M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this weekend I'm going to start stripping the black crinkle mess off my GI syn.Tonyben used citristrip on his does anyone know anything better?

Also when taking the darn rubber recoil pad(will soon be installing a GI) there is a round wooden dowel in the hole on top just above the nut for the top screw.Can I assume this will be removed for the GI buttplate?

Now painting.Any reccomendations on flat color paint brands that have worked for others and especially ones that need to be AVOIDED.

Now finally how about single color or camo I cant make up my mindICONEEK

Now I have my kids this weekend and may not get a chance to reply to anyone till Sunday nite,but I will read any help or suggestions tomorrow after work.Any help will be appreciated.Especially on the stripping part.

But votes on brown,or camo give me some ideas my brothers,I'm torn.cof1

Mabe some camo examples for inspiration.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I stripped the crinkle paint off with gasoline(do that outside). It takes the crinkle paint off,but not the orginal reddish brown that the stock was orginally paint with by Uncle Sam(that's one tough paint).Then sand it smooth.
I use Krylon camoudflage ultra-flat brown that I got at Walmart. The cap on the can looks almost black(spray a little at the store to make sure it's brown). It seems to be about the closest color to the orginal USGI synthetic stock brown you can buy.
Here's a picture of one I did. The handguard is not painted.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The synthetic stock uses a small nut and different screw in the upper position to hold the GI buttplate to the stock.

It uses the same lower screw and rear sling swivel.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Camo. When I first camoed one of mine I masked it off tryin to make it look cool. Came out like crap. I then started over and just sprayed different patterns free hand using three different colors and it came out pretty badass. I used camo colors I picked up at Wally World.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume you've been here, but if not: http://m14forum.com/pictures/32781-show-off-your-painted-m14-type-rifles.html

I've painted mine in a single color - so far!
Actually havent looked in a while but will before I paint.
I thought this was a really neat simple demo for coming up with some unique camo effects.

http://m14forum.com/stock/108661-how-i-paint-my-rifle.html
Thanks I like the Norinco a little color change and it would definately be something I'd try for my first attempt.

I may just go brown for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.