M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local surplus store got in a lot of 6 oz cans of G I bore cleaner,on the can has purchase order 43-18171.do you guys think it is OK to use it on my Garand and M14,or any other firearm for that matter? I read that it is good to clean up after corrosive ammo.(I know, don't use corrosive ammo). any other uses? It's in the small O.D. can. I also read that it is WW2 era stuff. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For corrosive ammo, use the GI Bore Cleaner labelled Poison on the container, and yeah they don't make it anymore. This cleaner will have to be applied or used over two or three days to be effective.

Don't use it in your house- it has a definate odor to it that most folks find offensive!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I still am still using a 1 quart can of rifle bore cleaner in an olive drab can with black lettering. As to the odor, it smells like creosote. I think I purchased it back in the '60s. I always assumed it was for corrosive as well as non-corrosive ammo. It sure does appear to do the job.

It is labeled Spec. RIXS-205,Rev.1
U.S. Navy Stk. (R) 51-S-4796
Contract: N288s-22234

It was manufactured by The Curran Corporation in Malden, Massachusetts.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a case of it.

If you search for usgi rifle bore cleaner lots of sights that offer it will come up.

I also use the usgi light weapons oil too.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I personally would not buy it, there are Much better products out there. If you like the smell, buy a small can and put a dab on each ear lobe. Corrosive primers use Potassium Chlorate, which turns to Potassium Chloride when fired. This is nothing more than a 'salt' very much like Sodium Chloride. It is dissolved by water, but overcomes water very quickly, so use plenty. I use Ballistol, which is practically magic. I also don't use Hoppe's, as it is based on a false premise (but I do like the smell)_

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you shoot corrosive you need one of these. Just pour some boiling hot water down the barrel and scrub. Then clean with regular bore cleaner.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I've got five one gallon cans of the old WW2 GI bore cleaner that I've used for years on anything that I've shot corossive 7.62x39 in and the stuff has done a fine job of keeping rust and corossion at bay.

I still have a considerable amount of 1943 GI steel cased .45acp that is highly corossive and the GI bore cleaner has worked fine in my 1911s for decades using the stuff. I paid a $1.00 per gallon can back thirty years ago at a gunshop that had cases of the stuff. So I bought five dollars worth and I haven't even made a dent in my supply.

7th

·
Registered
398 Posts
My local surplus store got in a lot of 6 oz cans of G I bore cleaner,on the can has purchase order 43-18171.do you guys think it is OK to use it on my Garand and M14,or any other firearm for that matter? I read that it is good to clean up after corrosive ammo.(I know, don't use corrosive ammo). any other uses? It's in the small O.D. can. I also read that it is WW2 era stuff. what do you guys think?

It is WWII stuff, specifically 1943. Two of my cans of the stuff have different markings but the same PO and POISON. Both are made by Banner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
U.S.G.I. Bore Cleaner - Friday, June 20th, 2014

Personally, I don't use any of that stuff. U.S.G.I. stuff is normally great in terms of gear, but I still prefer FrogLube. I know I sound like an AR guy with this stuff but it really honestly is the best stuff out there bar none. All you do is run a cleaning patch down with some of it on there. When I'm getting the bore mirror shine clean, I use Wipe Out bore cleaner. It's the expanding foam that will literally clean every bit of fouling from carbon to copper deposits of of the bore and gas cylinder. Then I line the bore with the FrogLube again as a "pre-game solvent". That's how you keep the fouling down and always keep the accuracy. It is literally the best stuff and best to do for bore cleaning.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input guys the store has them for .50 cents a can, and I collect WW2 stuff when I can so I bought a bunch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts