M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bored this evening, so I broke out Duff's Garand Owners Manual & figured out how to get the stock off the rifle. Yes, I are a n00b... :oops: :lol:

The stock & hand guards are in the dishwasher ATM being stripped. 8O

There were some pretty deep dings & dents, but no gouges. Hopefully the hot water will "steam" most of them out & I'll steam the rest as best I can afterwards.

It's a good looking stock & I'd like to take a stab at restoring it before I replace it. I may have to order some new walnut hand guards though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hot water works wonders for bringing up dents. I use the bathtub method and it works pretty well.
I always work hard to try and salvage handguards because walnut ones are so hard to find in decent shape.
It's a shame that these rifles were packed like cordwood when they were surplused to the CMP. Most of the wood damage on mine always seems to be from being stacked. You can see clear "rear sight" and "op rod handle" marks in them.

Dave

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I've got it sanded & the 1st coat of finish applied. Saved the cartouche, but most of the proof mark is history. :(

The hot water in the dishwasher took out most of the really bad dents, but there were a few I still had to sand out. I sanded with 100 grit sandpaper to get the dings out & remove the "dead" wood on the surface, followed by 220 grit to smooth the wood & then higher grits to finish it all up.

Some dings I was able to remove completely, some not so much. It's looking pretty good to me, but you can tell it's a "battle rifle", because it certainly has the scars to show for it... ;) 8)

The front hand guard was heavily stained & I figure it's birch under the stain (the rest of the stock is walnut). I sanded a good bit of the stain out in an effort to lighten it up to match the rest of the stock. It's still not exact, but it is a lot closer than it was originally.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Quag,

When I was working on my Danish M1 Garand, I left a few dings in mine as well... Funny I thought the same thing... that dings gave the rifle more character... At least there won't be any question on whether my stock was a USGI stock or not!!!

Can't wait to see her all done!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Tom,

Yeah, a few beauty marks on the stock do add a bit of character to a rifle like this.

I've got a couple of coats of danish oil on it now & it's starting to look pretty decent. It'll be a dull/satin type finish when it's done. I'll have some pics to show by next weekend for sure!

Best,
JP

·
Registered
947 Posts
Just for lurkers.

There were no attempts made at any the arsenals or factories to "match" the wood stocks, even when new. All three pieces of wood can be original to the rifle and be entirely different colors. Once birch came into the system even the tree can be different on an original rifle. No one worried about cosmetics, these are tools.

That said, part of the CMP process inspection process is to ship as pleasing a rifle as possible and obvious "mismatches" are usually swapped out.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
846 Posts
i was paying attention when mark kovach was talking one day. he was telling of us some wood that he had that was dark stained. he swears from his days working for the CMP that this wood came from HRA rifles. he recalled batches of rifles with the wood stained dark almost black. just like yours there quag.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Looks like your getting good at finishing stocks don't know how well a match you will get but I seen hand guards like new in shot gun news at sarco.com. The m1 I got didn't have a cartouche on it the wood looks good a lot of dings on it I still love it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered a walnut front HG from Boyd's yesterday, we'll see how it matches after it gets here & I get it finished. Tried to order a rear HG as well, but they were backorder on those so I skipped it for now.

Ordered a style 1 walnut stock & hand guard for my preban NM M1A while I was at it. :oops: :lol: 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.