M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Twenty years ago I went to a range the day after I bought my rifle to get some shots down range to check out what the rifle could do. Range master told me there was a match shoot in about a week or so, and should think about signing up. The day was going great, rounds hitting paper at 100 yards consistently once I had her zeroed in.

Anyway, I show up at the shoot. Youngest shooter by far and all these guys had awesome set ups for competition shooting. I have basically the standard rifle w/sling and a piece of rug to sit on. No shooting jacket or glove but I did have a set of binoculars to use for sighting purposes.I start warming the rifle up and for some reason I can't find where my rounds are going. Had only time to shoot down range about ten rounds before they had us get ready. I'm thinking, great, I have a rifle and I can't hit the paper in my first match shoot with it.

I asked the guy next to me for any pointers for finding where the rounds are going. He just said: "Yea, I going to help you zero in your stick before a match." Soon he was laughting at me the whole time as I struggled to find the target. Said I had no business shooting at this level and would only be taking up a spot for a real shooter. The targets at a hundred yards were set up in these rebar welded field goal post frames, and were only about two feet apart from the one next to it. The match begins and I fire my first round from prone. No clue where it went. Adjust back to zero and go six clicks up. Fire. No paper hit! Damn. The guy next to me is laughing between shots. Next shot, bam, and I see down range the guys target frame next to mind slowly starts to bend towards mine and falls to the ground face down. He wasn't laughing anymore but was mad as hell. All I said was: "I guess I'm shooting a little left and low." Two shots later I was back on target, mine naturally. We continued on with the shoot but I was disqualified.dance2 I beat the guy with my standard in the sitting position and the ten rounds, but he smoked me standing in the final round. At the end of the match the guy was getting ribbed by his buddies for a disasterous prone round. Losing his frame, target and all. He was blaming me for it but I played stupid.FRG1

I packed up to go and went to the range master and asked him how much I owed for shooting up that frame. He said: "You shot that frame that went down?" "Yes, sir." I replied. "Normally these frames go for $10 to replace. But since you stuck it out and the guy next to you is an (insert expletive here), this one is on the house.

I continued to shoot there off and on but never ran into that dude again.P_G

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
"I asked the guy next to me for any pointers for finding where the rounds are going. He just said: "Yea, I going to help you zero in your stick before a match." Soon he was laughting at me the whole time as I struggled to find the target. Said I had no business shooting at this level and would only be taking up a spot for a real shooter. "

Well, this guy is an obvious ass. But why didn't the range master give you a hand getting sighted in?? 99% of the highpower shooters around here would have lent you a scope and mat and glove and jacket and sling. And would have made sure you were on target before starting the match.

I hope you have a different club to shoot at next time, with gentlemen willing to help you out.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Try to borrow a spotting scope for the time being. It's really essential. Meantime save your $$$ to buy your own, a good one.

·
Registered
558 Posts
That is strange people were not more cooperative this being your first match. Folks where I shoot dont have that attitude at all. They bend over backwards helping the new guys, even to the point of lending them coats and gloves and spotting scopes (even their rifles if a new guy's rifle has issues) for their string so they can compete with everyone else. That's too bad. It does nothing to make new shooters feel welcome in the sport and we need that....

You are in Mass...? Where were you shooting...? It wasnt Reading was it...?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This was almost twenty years ago, when I lived out in Southern California. I was still a young person who already knew everything. Most people I have shot with are more than willing to help out anyone involved in the sport. This guy was just a piece of work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts