M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying one of FA's kits. Anyone have any experience with these with a USGI barrel? They claim the parts conditions are "excellent." I'm trying to decide if I want the GI barrel or Criterion. If the GI barrels are shot-out, it would be a much easier decision. Anyone have thoughts on the compatibility of the GI barrels and FA receivers? I know they don't guarentee they will headspace.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I have only bought kits without the barrel, and no complaints, but I also do not know if they will guarantee that they will headspace with a chrome-lined barrel within whatever range you're looking to land, though I would expect that if you get everything from them, their past customer service has indicated that so long as you're not messing anything up, they'll probably work with you either way. Chances are that some barrel will work with some bolt on one of their receivers, but I wouldn't assume that a random combination is going to work out.

My suggestion is to call and see if you can talk to Clint directly. I'm not complaining about their prices, but they are on the high side, and what comes with that is a higher level of service, so use it. It would not be out of line to ask that, if you bought all things from them, particularly at once, for them to do a basic check to see that with a barrel threaded hand tight into the receiver, if you have a shot at landing within an acceptable headspace range, perhaps with minor bolt lapping, once the barrel is spun up. Or, you could see if they'd simply install the bolt and barrel into the receiver for you for a fee, in which case you completely side step any headaches, at the expense of some dollars and that portion of fun that would otherwise be yours.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Thinking of buying one of FA's kits. Anyone have any experience with these with a USGI barrel? They claim the parts conditions are "excellent." I'm trying to decide if I want the GI barrel or Criterion. If the GI barrels are shot-out, it would be a much easier decision. Anyone have thoughts on the compatibility of the GI barrels and FA receivers? I know they don't guarentee they will headspace.

Thanks
Call Clint up there and talk to him. In addition to knowing this rifle, and others, "inside out" his FA Standard was my first M1A anything. Rock solid quality. As for the endless cast vs forged receiver debate one fact stays around that his are tried/true. More still, Elmer Balance used cast receievers. Ever hear anyone with well founded beefs about a Devine whose receiver has been used since by Springfield, inc. and thousands of times?

I was ready to send him an unused aka nos SAK GI profile barrel I bought off GB to use on a second FA M1A, but still not sure about the stamps on it mp/das etc. which I'm going to post pics of here and ask guys for a verdict on soon. Instead went with one of Jon Wolfe's 5R's for that build after talking to JD and John. The ONLY thing I can add, if still true, is Clint didn't convey headspace measurement unless he does now though he's spun plenty of GI barrels on his receivers and even more Criterions. I asked him if he kept those measurements per S/N and he told me he does not and simply guarantees safe both .308 and 7.62x51. This I quickly true. From my experience with Clint I believe as he states on these kits that: "All parts individually checked & gauged as "Excellent", selected by condition not manufacturer." The only FA type problem I've ever been aware of was way back some of his bolts misssing heat treat spec as best I can "remember" that was licked to death here and by the way along with Clint himself who corrected it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been purchasing from Fulton for 30 years and always recieved top parts and excellent service. Way "back in the day" they would sell receivers and rifles at their location by appointment. Always nice to me. I was disappointed I have to go through a local shop like A1 Sales now. But they're still first rate people.
They also did a trigger job on an M1 and M1a for me. It was only $25 back then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on buying a receiver from them and have no doubts about the quality. I have a 1979 SAI NM and a 2018 scout. For this one, I was hoping to build one as close to GI as you can get. I just don't know if the chrome lined barrel is worth the potential trouble.... Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I plan on buying a receiver from them and have no doubts about the quality. I have a 1979 SAI NM and a 2018 scout. For this one, I was hoping to build one as close to GI as you can get. I just don't know if the chrome lined barrel is worth the potential trouble.... Thanks for the feedback.
I've put together 3 Fulton Armory receivers with chrome-lined barrels, two with USGI bolts, and haven't had a problem. Barrels were all Criterion, a 'standard GI' profile which came from Fulton Armory, a modified medium-heavy from Wolfe Firearms, and one was an LRB DMR medium-heavy contour. On one, I had to ditch using a Fulton bolt and use a USGI bolt instead. Apart from talking to JD (who works with Wolfe) about the swap, that's as difficult as it got. I think that with all receivers there is a potential for 'fitment' being required, but Fulton receivers combined with USGI parts seem to go together pretty well and without excessive effort.

If you have enough bolts and barrels from which to choose (which they do), it really isn't an issue, as they can address any mismatch immediately with a simple swap, before you have to figure it out for yourself.

Now, if you want a particular headspace that you'd like to set, and you're comfortable with chamber reaming, then you might prefer to not use a chrome-lined barrel, as doing the finish reaming yourself lets you set the barrel to fit the bolt-receiver directly, whatever that might require. I suppose chrome-lined might technically be closer to USGI, though you don't have to tell anybody that it isn't, and I won't say a thing, I promise. 🌈

1 - 7 of 7 Posts