M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my Fullton Armory GI contour stock without cutout.

Was surprised how much thicker it is compared to a GI walnut stock. About 1/4" thicker from buttstock, through grip to the forend tip.

Would almost think this is a medium contour stock though I am not familiar with any of them.

Would heavy grit sandpaper and a palm sander remove enough wood to make it comparable to a GI stock? Don't have a lot of gunstock woodworking experience.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My Fulton stock is "medium". I have USGI stocks that are both thinner in the wrist and forearm, and thicker. The Fulton is a beautiful piece of wood. Does your have the Clint McKee cartouche?
Middkid

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No cartouche on this stock. Called Fulton Armory and confirmed it is a GI contour lightweight stock in that the forend in front of the magazine cutout is flat. They did say some are thicker then others. Be doing a return on the stock as there is to much wood removal for my skill level. Don't need an expensive fence post when I get through working it over.

Will say that Fulton shipped quick and also very easy to do a return with.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
As far as I know the FA stock is made by Boyds. Comercially made stocks are made thicker than USGI stocks. They are done that way for added strength. If you want a thin stock, your best bet would be to purchase a USGI stock or contact LAW483 and see if he can make one for you.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
You can buy a US GI Birch or Walnut stock from CMP with all the metal, for $35.00 + shipping. I recently picked up three of them from the CMP South for future projects and they're in good condition. They also have new reproduction slings for Garands and M-14's for $6.99...

http://www.thecmp.org/southstore.htm

7th

·
Registered
278 Posts
stocks

I've got three of the fulton GI contours. They are between the GI and medium contours that SAI offers in thickness. I personally think they are just right, dont know who makes them though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts