M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I see were Brownells is selling Fulton Armory M1A bolts... that are new and foreged....

Question are these things made in the USA ?

I'm looking for a spare bolt or two will all the internal parts....

Didn't know if anyone has any info or thoughts on Fulton or were to buy... I've came up dry most places online at this time... but I've just started looking...I can't find SAI bolts for sale anywere and I called them directly they can't sell parts for the M1A's at this time... didn't say why.

Regards, Madog

·
Registered
139 Posts
fulton armory has their bolts for sale on their site too.. I'm sure if you gave them a call they'll let you know.. Clint et al are good folks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's a damn good question...I can't find the answer on their website, but it would make sense that they are US made, given the fact that Fulton Armory is in Maryland.

You can order the part from their web site: http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Their site is a pain in the ass...to get to the parts section, expand the M14/M1A section on the right, then click Parts. Their replacement parts list is near the top.

After you've purchased one, you may want to take some time to look around the rest of the site. They've got an M14 FAQ which looks pretty decent.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I've got parts from them before.... mainly cleaning stuff and butt plate for my stock...

I'll try and call them next week to see the specs....brownells hasn't got back with me on the specs for the bolt.... ie. were is it made ? :)

Regards, Madog

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Hey I see were Brownells is selling Fulton Armory M1A bolts... that are new and foreged....

Question are these things made in the USA ?
The Fulton Armory bolts are forged in Pennsylvania and machined in Connecticut.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
They are as different said made in the USA. If you take a look at this link you will see a bolt on the page in the white. The company is SSI manufacturing in bristol ct. Here is the link
http://www.ssimanufacturing.com/industries_served/firearms.html
fulton lists there bolts for 199.95 for that much coin I would look for a nos gi bolt. Just food for though. Quite honestly you don't need to spen money on a spare bolt. I doubt you will ever shoot enough rounds through the rifle to wear one out. You would probably go through ablot of barrel changes before you need to swap the bolt out. If anything get a set of internal even at that all you really need is a firing pin and extractor. If yiu want to spend money on a high dollar item for your spares kit I would invest in a barrel ling before I got a bolt. Barrels range anywhere from 259-400. How many rounds do yiu shoot a year through that rifle? You can a long time before yiu need a barrel. 5000 rounds some don't change the until 10000 rounds. Some guys that compete change them every season after shooting 3500 rounds. It's all a matter of when the accuracy starts to fall off. If your dead set on getting a spare bolt please don't get two because honestly you won't even need one. Something yiu need to be aware of. Bolts are not drop in on this platform. Care has to be taken that you have propperly lapped lugs and headspace. It's all a matter of what type of barrel you have. Headspace is set up using two different techniques one for a chrome lined barrel and one for a barrel that you are able to finish ream. Gus Fisher wrote a thread about what spare parts he suggests you should have. Before you get a bolt do a search for that thread. Personally if I had spares I would have bolt internals, a hammer, maybe a trigger and sear and an op rod spring. Take a look at that thread it's very informative. He breaks it down based on the different echelon Marine Corp maintenance shops carried all the way down to what a Marine in the field would carry. All of Gus's threads are very informative. I just don't want to see you spend money on something you won't need as a spare part. You knkw what they say about spare parts, they eventually turn into spare rifles. Visigoth nine said it the best, I can't remeber exactly what part he used but you'll get the point. I had a spare castle nut set screw and it turned into another rifle. Something to that effect, like I said I forgot what part he used in his post. Whatever it was it was a small part.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thank you for the advice and help... the info here is always good and food for thought....

I shoot between 600-1200 rds a year or around 100 a month.... I'd like to say I use my gun... I'm sure many put more than that a year in a gun... If I wasn't a single father and with my full time job with the military.. I would shoot more and try to be in some contest... I just would like to have a spare parts for my rifle.. but I guess if my bolt or reciever broke... its time for a new gun :) .... I doubt I'll ever see this SAI break though... I hear stories... but I'm sure many of them are only half true and they were most likely shooting the wrong type of ammo through the gun... ie. 180grain or more.

Its like I tell my friends... you don't need a lot of guns... just one good rifle and pistol and the ammo to go with... and the skills to use those weapons.... I love guns like the next maybe more but I can only carry two at once to go shoot at the range... or in a SHTF God help us day...

Regards, Madog Llewellyn

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Hey madog thanks for protecting us when we sleep and for your service. That's why we are here brother.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your more than welcome... I've put 10 years in and still got 32 to go... at 60 Uncle Sam says I'm done with 42 total... I want you the taxpayer's to get their money's worth out of me... Plus the Air Guard allows us to become more or less "lifetime - professional soliders" ... I just wish the active duty could keep 25-33% in that kind of status... to allow them a base of lifers to help train the newbies and guide them... Not everyone stays that long but there are some.

This isn't much of a job... more of a chosen duty and honor to serve and protect the people and ideas of this Constitutional Republic. So in many ways I thank you the people for giving us the job.

Regards, Madog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts