M14 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Built Socom 16
150 Posts
Not to hijack but being that Fulton doesn't sell bare recievers, if I purchased a 16" setup only to harvest the barrel for my Socom would the headspacing and such still be ok to build a 22" off that reciever?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Why doesn’t anyone choose Douglas barrels any more!? Am I that old?
whichever you choose, I would go with a medium weight and for sure 1:10 if sending 168 gr rounds.
I've used Douglas barrels in AR precision rifles in the past and had great luck with them. Very accurate.

I've decided to try out the gov't profile CL barrel from the start so I can shoot the platform without worrying about it too much. I'll mainly be shooting irons and M80 ball for the time being. I live in SE GA where it's pretty humid and I don't go crazy about white glove cleaning my rifles after every outing unless it's one of my specific precision rifles, so not having to worry about punching a bore every time is always nice.

If I end up liking the platform enough, though, my plans are to send it off to someone and have it accurized into an M21. In which case I'll swap to a 1:10 match barrel with appropriate ammunition.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The USMC rifle team used Barnett barrels - they are fine barrels. People frown on the buttoned barrels but they can be very accurate compared to cut-rifling. They go head to head w/ the best cut-rifling out there. Now you got the 5R rifling in the mix - so many to choose from. I love it! 😁

I am just waiting on a receiver to come up in stock again. Got a nice 5R Wolfe heavy bull NM barrel patiently waiting...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys, Looking at placing an order with Fulton Armory for an Enhanced Service rifle.

Trying to choose between barrels and I’m curious what y’all think between their standard Gov’t Profile Chrome Lined “match grade” vs the Criterior medium profile 1/10 Chrome-Moly barrel.
If they’re going to group fairly close to one another I’d just as soon have chrome lining.
Anyone familiar with both enough to make an educated suggestion?
I would go with the medium weight Crittenton or a medium stainless Krieger match if you are looking to compete with it or make a sniper rifle out of it. If you are just going to shoot and hunt with it put the lighter barrel and make your hiking easier.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Second-choice does not mean 2nd best. Unless you are at the very top of the shooting level chasing the national championship every event. how much barrel do you really need? The average shooter probably cannot hold 1-minute of group. Does every marine hold 1-minute of group? Maybe. But every marine will most likely pepper the 10-ring while thinking about what is for lunch that day. And they do NOT have Kriegers in those rifles.

I am just happy if I don't get sent to the corner for remedial -

Reactions: JEFFJP_N_JJ

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Medium weight, chrome line are fine barrels. I have two rifles sporting them. They shot well and with my level of skill I don‘t see a difference between the Critieron or the medium weight Krieiger barrels that I have.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I was thinking about replacing the barrel in a Garand. I was surprised lookig at Fultons website that I didnt see them offer other than criterion barrels. I expected they would offer premium match barrels like years ago.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts