M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
NM-match barrels will not be chrome-lined. If you want a battle rifle, then I will go w/ a chrome-lined USGI barrel - choose your brand...TRW, Win, SA, HR.

LIfe-span for NM barrels are short. There are many choose civilian barrels out there. tAke your pick. But - if you want a rifle you will shoot plenty and want your great grandkids to do same - go w/ USGI barrels.

My 2-cents.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Disagree on which part?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
i did not mean to imply to use a worn USGI barrel. There are lots of NOS or near that condition USGI barrels out there. I will choose to use those over any of the civilian ones if Im building a battle rifle. Match rifles - there are few barrels to choose from Krieger, Barnett, Wolfe 5R come to mind.

Many match shooters will not go beyond 4000 rounds on their barrels and have them replaced-even Kriegers. I sent someone here 2-3 Kriegers in a lot not long ago coz the barrels were approaching that 4K round count. Those barrels are perfectly acceptable and will be used a long time - they will be better than any of the new commercial usual barrels out there even after running that many thru them. When the rounds start to wander the 10-ring, some shooters will opt to replace their barrels.

I gauged those barrels in their entire length and they were fine - I got a mint barrel gauge from the US. Ordinance Dept used in M1s (one of my prized possession). I carry that when I go to gunshows if I am hunting for used USGI M14 barrels.

Just saying -

Reactions: JEFFJP_N_JJ

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I inherited 2- NM USGI barrels in my first builds: SA and SAK. both gauged fine so I used them. Both will do cloverleafs - I don't abuse them though - I keep track of how the rounds on them. I have 2 other rifles w/ fresh near mint chrome USGI barrels - SA and Winchester ..these I absolutely want them broken in. They are my workhorses. My super-match w/ a new Barnett I absolutely keep track the round count. I barely use that rifle after the initial sighting in.

Some people will keep track of the mileage on their barrels..either by round count or how much powder they have used.

But my point is - the USGI chrome barrels will handle lots of rounds. You can probably buy a fairly good size home w/ the money before you wear it out.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The USMC rifle team used Barnett barrels - they are fine barrels. People frown on the buttoned barrels but they can be very accurate compared to cut-rifling. They go head to head w/ the best cut-rifling out there. Now you got the 5R rifling in the mix - so many to choose from. I love it! 😁

I am just waiting on a receiver to come up in stock again. Got a nice 5R Wolfe heavy bull NM barrel patiently waiting...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Second-choice does not mean 2nd best. Unless you are at the very top of the shooting level chasing the national championship every event. how much barrel do you really need? The average shooter probably cannot hold 1-minute of group. Does every marine hold 1-minute of group? Maybe. But every marine will most likely pepper the 10-ring while thinking about what is for lunch that day. And they do NOT have Kriegers in those rifles.

I am just happy if I don't get sent to the corner for remedial -

Reactions: JEFFJP_N_JJ
1 - 6 of 6 Posts