M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Looking at placing an order with Fulton Armory for an Enhanced Service rifle.

Trying to choose between barrels and I’m curious what y’all think between their standard Gov’t Profile Chrome Lined “match grade” vs the Criterior medium profile 1/10 Chrome-Moly barrel.
If they’re going to group fairly close to one another I’d just as soon have chrome lining.
Anyone familiar with both enough to make an educated suggestion?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have one of their 16' chrome lined and a medium chromoly in 22". Both are accurate, but the medium is definitely more accurate. Not sure to what extent length factors in here, but I doubt it would much.

What are you wanting/needing out of your rifle?

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Pretty sure both are made by Criterion Barrels, as I doubt Fulton has any in-house barrel making capability. For use in a CMP 'modern military class' with a 9.0 lb weight limitation for an M1A (no mag or sling), I'd go with standard weight barrel. (Note: An M1A rifle will typically be around 10 lbs or so with a medium weight barrel).

For better accuracy in extended firing sessions - regardless of the rifle's weight - the medium weight would be a good choice. It really depends on your priorities and preferred weight of rifle. Fwiw, match M14 rifles started using medium weight barrels in the late 1970s due to the improvement in accuracy.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
NM-match barrels will not be chrome-lined. If you want a battle rifle, then I will go w/ a chrome-lined USGI barrel - choose your brand...TRW, Win, SA, HR.

LIfe-span for NM barrels are short. There are many choose civilian barrels out there. tAke your pick. But - if you want a rifle you will shoot plenty and want your great grandkids to do same - go w/ USGI barrels.

My 2-cents.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
NM-match barrels will not be chrome-lined. If you want a battle rifle, then I will go w/ a chrome-lined USGI barrel - choose your brand...TRW, Win, SA, HR.

LIfe-span for NM barrels are short. There are many choose civilian barrels out there. tAke your pick. But - if you want a rifle you will shoot plenty and want your great grandkids to do same - go w/ USGI barrels.

My 2-cents.
I disagree on your view with regards to barrel longevity. I've had sewer pipe Lee Enfield barrels still shoot great. So many factors to weigh in.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Disagree on which part?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Disagree on which part?
NM barrel life is not short, first off. Short compared to what? Also, unless you know the exact condition of a USGI barrel (borescoped, gaged, thoroughly checked) why not just go with a new production barrel? Modern Criterion chrome lined barrels are pretty hard to beat from a longevity stand point; I mean, dang it would be brand new. From a performance stand point a Krieger would be a top option too. Stating that an old USGI barrel is the best for longevity is kind of vague without context. I have a Krieger barreled bolt action with plenty of rounds down the tube and it still shoots wonderfully.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
i did not mean to imply to use a worn USGI barrel. There are lots of NOS or near that condition USGI barrels out there. I will choose to use those over any of the civilian ones if Im building a battle rifle. Match rifles - there are few barrels to choose from Krieger, Barnett, Wolfe 5R come to mind.

Many match shooters will not go beyond 4000 rounds on their barrels and have them replaced-even Kriegers. I sent someone here 2-3 Kriegers in a lot not long ago coz the barrels were approaching that 4K round count. Those barrels are perfectly acceptable and will be used a long time - they will be better than any of the new commercial usual barrels out there even after running that many thru them. When the rounds start to wander the 10-ring, some shooters will opt to replace their barrels.

I gauged those barrels in their entire length and they were fine - I got a mint barrel gauge from the US. Ordinance Dept used in M1s (one of my prized possession). I carry that when I go to gunshows if I am hunting for used USGI M14 barrels.

Just saying -

Reactions: JEFFJP_N_JJ

·
Registered
189 Posts
My SAK NM barrel that I have been shooting since 1986 will still hold > 1 MOA, I have no idea how many rounds have through it. I thought it was shot out about 10 year ago but Mr. Brown said it was still good. 10 years later when I got it back from SA repair, I cleaned it with Shooters choice to get out all of the fouling and shot several 1 hole groups less than 1 MOA. I think it depends on how fast you shoot the rifle (and not letting it get over heated) - so no burst fire.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
I’d imagine that a match quality rifle that degrades after 5k rounds or so is still shooting acceptably well, just not at match quality standards, no?
I don't shoot nearly that much, but others I have tracked seem to show a degradation in accuracy around 5k. Whether that is 1 moa going to 1.5 moa, or 2 moa going to 3 moa, depends on the specifics of the rifle.

Keep in mind that in this economy, 5k rounds is at least $5k. That seems like a hell of a return on the investment of a $500 barrel.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I inherited 2- NM USGI barrels in my first builds: SA and SAK. both gauged fine so I used them. Both will do cloverleafs - I don't abuse them though - I keep track of how the rounds on them. I have 2 other rifles w/ fresh near mint chrome USGI barrels - SA and Winchester ..these I absolutely want them broken in. They are my workhorses. My super-match w/ a new Barnett I absolutely keep track the round count. I barely use that rifle after the initial sighting in.

Some people will keep track of the mileage on their barrels..either by round count or how much powder they have used.

But my point is - the USGI chrome barrels will handle lots of rounds. You can probably buy a fairly good size home w/ the money before you wear it out.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
Krieger barrel is the only way to go 1:11 twist is flexible. Mine is a 1:10 favors the heavies.
I agree! Mine/yours does well with 130's too! Krieger group buy hvy here SS 1/10"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts