M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I don't care one way or the other whether the M14 is controllable during automatic fire, but you're video would have been more convincing if you'd shown us how those rounds were printing on a target.
Very cool vid! Honest question since we had little use for ground tactics on a submarine - but is precision shooting one of the requirements of a saw? I ask because I recall an episode of mail call where they compared the AK and AR, and in f/a neither put many rounds on paper, and this was from like <50yds.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
http://youtu.be/foKstBuMUooJust a lil clip showing off my 14. As you can see with practice they are controlable in full auto.

Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not saying you're fat, but you're clearly a bigger man than a lot of 18 year olds, and definitely much bigger than any woman fit for service, and that rifle is engaging your whole body while you're in a stable shooting stance. I mean, look at how much the rifle shifts when your mag's dry, that's indicative of the level of force you were applying to the weapon. That's not exactly what folks have in mind when they talk about "controllable".

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I have no experience with full auto M14s, so anything I have to say about it is from what I've read. I generally don't say anything about it here, that's for sure.

Whenever it's mentioned that the M14 wasn't suitable for automatic fire, I'm sure most people are just parroting what they've read about in the many sources that state it. When it's brought up on the forum (sometimes by people who actually do have experience) it always elicits responses that say with proper training and practice, it was entirely feasible to use it effectively. I'm sure it was for everyone who says they could do it, too.

I'm just saying it would be cool to actually see someone doing it.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Well, I always thought my M16 was useless in full-auto, too. USNA

Reactions: Buelligan

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not saying you're fat, but you're clearly a bigger man than a lot of 18 year olds, and definitely much bigger than any woman fit for service, and that rifle is engaging your whole body while you're in a stable shooting stance. I mean, look at how much the rifle shifts when your mag's dry, that's indicative of the level of force you were applying to the weapon. That's not exactly what folks have in mind when they talk about "controllable".
I was around 130 pounds when in the Army and had no problem controlling the M14 in F/A mode. If you hold it right size doesn't matter. GI1
ARMY1

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
... If you hold it right size doesn't matter. GI1
ARMY1
To expand your innuendo, machine guns are best when crew-served, as in someone else is holding it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not this again!

Check this video for the proper employ of a full automatic M14. Paid particular attention starting a time hack 13:38.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEtYrzcFnV0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEtYrzcFnV0[/ame]

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is no doubt I'm not a small man, with alot of practice behind it. but you always here from people when the topic is brought up anyplace people are talking about them that they aren't controllable. I just was showing it is most definitely manageable even with out the E2 stock. Is it for everyone probably not but in the correct hands it's a devastating weapon. And obviously the BAR Is a mean machine more power and less recoil but is a huge weight difference too. I've got alot of trigger time behind full auto weapons from tommys to 134 minis.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Not this again!

Check this video for the proper employ of a full automatic M14. Paid particular attention starting a time hack 13:38.
This doesn't prove it was an effective weapon on automatic fire, but it's a cool video none-the-less.

Are there any modern large caliber battle rifles with automatic fire capability even being used these days? Not talking about those old FALs, but modern front line battle rifles with cartridges comparable to the 7.62 x 51. Are any of the M14s being issued now actually used this way? With scopes?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts