M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more....

gun runs fine with right handed shooters. Three shooters have no problems with gun running. Wilson mags (3). Factory 230gr ball. when lefty shoots it, it'll run from 5 - to - 12 rounds and then starts FTF. round begins up ramp, but slide stops. carbon has been cleaned from barrel/ports, parts/springs checked, lubed with SS lube. gun did have interference in spring/guide/plug area which was relieved as well as barrel/slide tightness during cycle which was also relieved by removing metal at interference. Problem seemed to be solved - but gun sold to lefty, and now similar problem, FTF as described.
anyone with experience with this older model Springfield? I don't think they make model anymore.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
On another forum someone posted how SAI says the porting on the XD45 will reduce velocity by 50%!!!! Could something like that be working here? Try a lighter recoil spring?

Another might be the famous catch-all problem of FTFs and that is "limp wristing" That others do not have this FTF problem suggests this possibility. By limp wristing I mean you are allowing the pistol to roll back on recoil. I have no idea how experienced you are, but this is not unusual with new pistol shooters. I am not trying to insult you. Frankly, I think the limp wristing charge is leveled way too often on some sites and I hesitated to even mention it here.

CX

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
I'd think as long as the slide went back far enough to grab the next round, everything is cool with that cycle. I'm just a bit curious if lefty's hand is somehow riding the hammer safety to act as a brake on the slide. Hardball ammo hardly ever hangs on the ramp unless the timing is off.

In the past, I had a pistol that would hang like that ever so often and I just polished the ramp a little and made a huge difference.

Here's what mine looked like...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.