M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M1A scout rifle came with a .052 front site with a red dot, really nice. However it shoots really low and I have to crank the rear a bunch to hit center at 100 yards. The gun was purchased used (very little) and the site may have been installed by the previous owner. I would like a .062 with the red dot (match site) so I can lower the rear site. Where can I find one of these replacement sites I could not find any where I looked?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
It seems like the dimensions your are mentioning are for the sight width, which will have nothing to do with your elevation setting. They're available in different widths to create the most optimal sight picture, on a given target. Front sight width can also be used for rudimentary range estimation.
Using the front sight to estimate range
Keep in mind that this will be different on a Scout, or anything other than a standard length barrel, as will the elevation trigonometry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like the dimensions your are mentioning are for the sight width, which will have nothing to do with your elevation setting. They're available in different widths to create the most optimal sight picture, on a given target. Front sight width can also be used for rudimentary range estimation.
Using the front sight to estimate range
Oh did not know that. I thought it was the heght of the site. It is narrow. Where and I get a higher site so that I can lower the rear?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
IIRC, there are some vendors here. Check the PX and the Gun Professionals sections. Fulton Armory and Springfield are other possibilities. Make sure anyone you're dealing with knows it for a Scout length barrel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC, there are some vendors here. Check the PX and the Gun Professionals sections. Fulton Armory and Springfield are other possibilities. Make sure anyone you're dealing with knows it for a Scout length barrel.
Will do thanks
What can be the cause of my problem (having to raise rear site a bunch to get on target at 100Yards) any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
What can be the cause of my problem (having to raise rear site a bunch to get on target at 100Yards) any suggestions?
Some front sights need a little "trimming" down with a small file to reduce the amount of elevation on the rear sight. Very little is needed, about .004" per MOA or "click" of the rear sight. Generally you want about 6-8 clicks up elevation for 100yd zero.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have the same issue with one of my scouts. It is my understanding that the scout comes with a taller sight. You could try getting a .062 front sight of standard height. (Most are)(Check the PX)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The front sight is probably too tall.
Some front sights need a little "trimming" down with a small file to reduce the amount of elevation on the rear sight. Very little is needed, about .004" per MOA or "click" of the rear sight. Generally you want about 6-8 clicks up elevation for 100yd zero.
There is no room to file the front site, it has an red dot imbedded shows up very clear thru the reap aperature. I thought the front site would have to be raised to lower the rear site. I cannot hit target at 25 yards with site a few clicks up, have to raise it a bunch to hit at short range and 100 yards.

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
The Scout rifle leaves the factory with a very tall front sight, to compensate for the short barrel. It is made to 0.062 National Match standards.

Someone obviously switched sights on you. The tall ones are available from SAI customer service. I've never seen a front sight with a red dot it. Sounds home made. I think a company, possibly Kensight, makes one with a white dot.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Think of the rear sight as a pivot point as you aim the rifle at the target. If the line of sight from the rear thru the front aligns, what happens if the front sight is taller? Now the muzzle drops to keep that same sight picture. If the front sight was shorter, the muzzle will rise to keep that same sight alignment.
If you are shooting low, the front sight is too tall. Either you reduce the height of the front sight, which you will not do because of the red dot, or you increase the rear sight elevation to compensate.

·
Premium Member
Token Libtard
250 Posts
The Scout rifle leaves the factory with a very tall front sight, to compensate for the short barrel. It is made to 0.062 National Match standards.

Someone obviously switched sights on you. The tall ones are available from SAI customer service. I've never seen a front sight with a red dot it. Sounds home made. I think a company, possibly Kensight, makes one with a white dot.
This.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Think of the rear sight as a pivot point as you aim the rifle at the target. If the line of sight from the rear thru the front aligns, what happens if the front sight is taller? Now the muzzle drops to keep that same sight picture. If the front sight was shorter, the muzzle will rise to keep that same sight alignment.
If you are shooting low, the front sight is too tall. Either you reduce the height of the front sight, which you will not do because of the red dot, or you increase the rear sight elevation to compensate.
That is what I have done to compensate. The rear is high and I am afraid that I may possibly damage the site while deer hunting with it here in Upstate NY. Suppose I will just have to be very careful or lower it when getting in and out of vehicle etc. Or put a basset scope mount on it and my Leupold 1.5 to 5 x on it and problem goes away

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The photo looks like somebody put a drop of Bright Sights (or such like) on the front sight. You could cut the sight down with a fine file or course stone, if you wanted to facilitate lowering of the rear sight. If you do that, try to keep it square.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts