M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, seems Quagmire was correct, barrel index is way off. 2-4
degrees, only way to correct this (canted left) is to rework the receiver.
I just hope the head-space falls within spec. This was a new TRW USGI
barrel. Bummer. [-o<

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Is SA going to do the repair work for you or will you be sending it off to someone else?

I remember seeing someone on BR say they sent their rifle off to SA several times before they finally got a barrel indexing issue resolved.

Were it me I think I'd call Smith Enterprise and ask them what they'd charge to index the barrel properly for you. I know that I was really impressed with the job they did on the LRB they built for me. I'd never seen one that was indexed to exactly top dead center before.

GL!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Ok, probably a good idea. Let us know how it turns out. GL!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Smith Enterprise standard change is $100 to put the barrel in the receiver and ensure the headspace is within spec. $50 for bolt exchange if it isn't. That's $50 plus your bolt. They have a supply of new TRW bolts from what I was told on the phone last week.

As noted .005" isn't going to make or break headspace, which can go as long as 1.6455". SAAMI NO-GO gage can be used as a M14 GO gage; likewise the SAAMI FIELD (Reject) gage can be used as a M14 NO-GO gage (even though it's still too small).

-- Chuck

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, sometimes things just don't work out. :x Picked up
my rifle from the gunsmith the other day, I have no clue
what he did for the 60 bucks he charged me. Front sight
is still slightly canted left but, the headspace is now at a
staggering 1.644+. Certainly not acceptable to me. Get this,
he tells me to go shoot it then look at the ejected brass for
signs of trouble. I was just stunned! NO WAY. I was told he
has plenty of experience with M1A's.........I don't think so.
Now it's packed up and heading for Springfield Armory in
the morning. I would have been better off doing that in the
first place. So much for trying to keep it local. :cry:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pbiggs, I know you and Warbird are right in thinking that I should demand a refund,
however, that’s not how I operate. I did speak to him in length about this, I’m not
sure if he “got it” he did offer to re-barrel the rifle and, knock off the $60. I of course
declined, no confidence I guess. I see it this way, first the job is totally screwed up,
he did not deliver in the time frame as promised and, quoted an astronomical price
on the re-barrel job (I think he doubled the list price and offered me 50% off) In the
long run this will end up costing him mega times more, I operate a retail Automotive
machine shop in conjunction with a parts store, lots of customer traffic here….guess
what, no recommendations will come from here or at the range, no slander on him
but, no gold star either. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he is a qualified smith
but not on the M1A. I’ve always been taught to do the job right and, if you promise a
job to be done in a certain time frame then stick to it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
vet66 alias funky 4th:
reindex barrel to spec sing a leveling bar.
headpace for a military barrel will usually work to min specs with no sweat or swap a bolt out to get it..jeff

·
Registered
359 Posts
vet66:
when i used to go down to pleiku the 2 friends george bacon and ricky nixon who went to huey school with me from your 4th avn bn (ratpack)used to refer to the 4th id as funky 4th. just a handle of fondness for the unit.
also my fatherinlaw frank, who passed away 2 years ago was with the 4th and landed first wave on utah beach on d day he was sgt major with 4th div hq medical section worked for commander barton he served in every campaign from d day huertgen forest liberation of paris the 4th did that too battle of the bulge to germany your unit has a great history and now it has saddam on its list of many accomplishments. no put downs. welcome home jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.