M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day from Texas!

I got my M1 back from being reparked late last year and took it out to sight it in. I ended up having to knock the front sight waaayyy over to the left to get the thing centered. After a few trips, I got on a FAL kick and didn't grab the M1 for a few months until today. I looked at that front sight and thought how goofy it looked offset like that, so I took it and centered it up again, made sure the rear sight was at mechanical center, grabbed a few handloads and HXP's and off I went.

Got the front sight a bit off to the left at 50 yards, then shifted over to 100. Shoot....tap it over....shoot.... you get the idea. Here's the sight.

And here's the target for the HXPs during the process. Note that the rear sight is also bottomed out! I'm doing POA=POI in my sight picture.

Ok, that's pecuilar, but what the heck. Let's try some handloads. 44, 45, and 46 grains of varget, LC Match, CCI#34 with a very light breeze to the left. 4 shot groups. Looks like I can come up a bit on my rear sight again.

The groups are kinda what I expect for me as a shooter.

So it looks like my front sight is too low and for some reason needs to be way over to one side. It did not shoot like this prior to getting it redone/refitted.

Anyone else have these sort of big offsets with their Garand? Just seems like it's a lot. FWIW, I am right-handed, right-eye dominant, and I shoot both eyes open. Closing my left doesn't seem to help much at all.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Mark, the problem is barrel indexing. What that means is the rear sight deck(the flat part of receiver rear sight sets on) and the front sight perch(where front sight mounts to) on gas cylinder are not parallel to each other. I don't know how close you to Art Luppino but he should be able fix it. You should be able to have both the rear sight and front sight centered up for a mechanical zero. The next problem you might encounter is the nut behind the trigger. That one you are on your own,for I'm still sorting that lose screw out on my end.

Pfc out
PS There are many post?threads on that subject to learn from. Center them up and let them fly

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wondered about the indexing. The only reason I didn't go into it is because I got the gun redone (including new stock) at Deans Gun Restorations (DGR). He's very well known for quality work and it never occurred to me that it might be something like that or something related to the stock.

Not sure where Art is located. I'm a bit west of Houston, TX.

As for the trigger nut.... well, all these so-called issues are just further excuses to go shooting to correct them. :)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The front sight blade looks to be off center. Maybe you didn't get 'your' sight back. This happens, especially with little parts, they get mixed up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That could be. I haven't measured it, but it doesn't look to be off. I think it's just the angle of the pic. I did reshoot (is that a word?) this weekend past and got the exact same results, so it looks like I've got it on for me anyways.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd have to get a smith to do that. As it stands the thing shoots fine, it's just that it requires the front sight to be goofy to one side like that. I'm thinking that I'm just going to leave it. It'll make it easier to ID against other M1s :) .

·
Registered
252 Posts
A similar thing happened to me. I had my 1944 Garand re barreled with a good 01/44 barrel. When I zeroed at 100, My front sight ended up flush with the left side of the front sight shelf. At 200, I have to add 1 click of R windage, 2 clicks at 300. That was in a no wind condition day. I always wondered about that. The original barrel was way shot out, and swallowed a ME gage, but it was straight. The front sight on the old barrel was centered as well as the rear. I always thought that the repalcement barrel may be bent. I rarely ever shoot that rifle because I have another rifle with a 1942 receiver and a newer Criterion barrel that really shoots well. I'll be tracking this thread to see what the conclusion is. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assumed he had to. Somewhere along the process, the threads may have been stretched a tad which would fuddle-up the indexing. I'm ok as long as it shoots well. I suppose the test will now be to try it at 200 and 300 and see if it's still on or if it truly is a bent barrel. That would be a bummer.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I would send it back to DGR to have it checked. "If" the barrel isnt properly indexed he should have caught it and fixed the issue.I would give him the chance to atleast look it over and see if that is the issue

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Art is from Kerrville Tx. If it wasn't shooting like that before DGR got ahold of it , I would be talking to DGR and wondering what they did to my rifle and how they plan on fixing it , cause it sure sounds like the problem started there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That looks like a wide base or the sight and base would be the same width. One of my M1's has the front sight off set just like the op's but it doesn't bother me because it allows the rear sight to be centered. The rear sight being off centered would bug the crap out of me. This is precisely why they invented the wide base. It allowed the sight to be moved for sighting purposes and cut down on the number of rejects at the armory.
Jon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts