M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I removed the handguard from my Springfield M1A (2008 manufacture), I discovered that the front band was literally rattling around on the barrel. I've already ordered some gas cylinder shims and have researched that process.

However, I also noticed that the stock ferrule doesn't put any pressure on the front band when the action is mounted and locked in with the trigger assembly. This is a new Springfield Armory "synthetic" stock (read "plastic"). Since trigger assembly lock-up is pretty loose too, I experimented with a couple of shims on either side of the receiver and forward of the pivot point created when the trigger group is locked in. Even with a double-thickness of aluminum flashing, the front band can still move a little bit.

BTW the shims did make the lock-up tighter - it feels right with them in there. It was always easy, but has gotten even looser over time.

So am I correct in thinking that lack of downward pressure on the front band is going to make the rifle less accurate?

How do you determine that you have the "right" amount of pressure on the front band?

Last but not least, did I put the shims in the right place for this purpose? There's virtually no wiggle room side-to-side for the receiver in the stock. That made me think that shims under and around the "legs" on the receiver wouldn't make sense in this situation.

BTW - I realize that shimming the gas cylinder may re-position the front band so that it does apply a slight amount of pressure on the stock ferrule.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks High Hat - that definitively answers the question about lack of tension affecting accuracy. Now I just have to figure out what to do about it...

·
Registered
813 Posts
On the two rifles I have the only thing applying pressure was the handguard. Sounds like yours. The first rifle I worked on some.
As I tried to clearance the handguard, the stock just flexed right along. This is what it took to get a rigid stock. It worked fine, but eventually it went in a Boyds.

On the second rifle....I bought a nice stock before I had the rifle paid off. Sorry to say but I consider those stocks a good way to ship the rifle back to SA if the need ever pops up.

Hopefully you find a simpler fix. I'll add that the second rifle shot darn good in that as shipped sloppy configuration, no complaints about that, but I'm happier with both of them bedded into wood stocks.

You in Richmond Virginia?

·
Registered
186 Posts
i got rid of my SA plastic, and bought a used usgi stock. a much better fit. a little stiffer, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts