M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow were we busy this weekend. Had a bunch of semi auto M14's come in and I thought I would post about them as others may find the info interesting.

One was a Norinco the owner said he could pull the op rod out of track when he was chambering a round. I tried it six times and could not do it, so I imagine he was pulling it up and out. Someone mentioned in another thread that on some Norinco's they either used a Sadlak NM spring guide or centered and glued the op rod guide to correct this in their guns. Another fix is to fit a G.I. spec op rod.

One was a Federal Ordnance rifle. This one was throwing the op rod out of the track during firing. Well, this one had a good groove in the receiver and a G.I. op rod in it that should not have been able to throw the op rod out. I found the relief cut on the safety bridge for the firing pin was not finished correctly all the way down. The firing pin is catching on that point and holding the bolt hard enough that it would cause the op rod to fly out. So there is something else to check if your op rod doesn't stay in the track.

A Maunz rifle came up as well. This one had all G.I. parts, but it had not been properly lapped for bolt contact and it was TOO short on headspace even for .308. It was not so short that lapping the bolt correctly will not cause any problems and will properly get the headspace to the correct minimum. If you have an Maunz or Fed Ord M14, I would highly advise you get the headspace checked by a competant M14 Armorer as I have seen way too many of these rifles that were assembled over the years with incorrect headspace.

I saved this one for last as it was a Springfield Armory rifle that I had glass bedded because the top contact on the G.I. stock was so poor and the triggerguard closed without any tension at all. With the trigger guard closed, one could actually move the whole receiver and trigger housing back and forth in the stock before I bedded it. I put good "draw" or tension required to close the trigger guard on the rifle when I bedded it, though it was not as much as we have put on some NM rifles. (I don't set up standard rifles, and especially not ones with SAinc trigger guards and housings, with so much draw you have to really smack the trigger guard to get it to close like we did with NM M14's as SAinc trigger guards are not as strong as G.I. ones.) The "draw" I put on it should have been about perfect for a SAinc. trigger guard and housing.

The owner brought it back because the trigger guard came unlatched a couple times when he put about 80 rounds through the rifle. He noted it had not "popped open" before I worked on it. Thinking about that, I don't doubt what he was saying. When there was no tension for the front lugs of the trigger guard to close and the receiver and trigger mech were able to bounce around in the stock, it would not have put as much recoil force on the trigger guard. On G.I. M1 and M14 trigger guards, you can often/usually fix that by judicious bending of the trigger guard, but not so with many/most SAinc. trigger guards as they won't hold the bend.

I'm going to fix that rifle by installing a G.I. triggerguard that is much stronger than the SAinc. one and that should solve the problem forever. I wanted to mention this because some SAinc. owners may have or will run across this occasionally with an SAinc. trigger guard. Some SAinc. M1A owners may not realize this can happen though. Fortunately with the lifetme SAinc warranty, you can get it replaced if it happens with yours.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could not believe how busy we were on Saturday and even Sunday had lots of folks bring in guns for inspection and/or repair.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
And I came all the way from Texas to see Gus...

Nice chatting with you again.

Actually, I came to visit my kids and grand kid. Just a perfect excuse to see The Man, and deliver a project.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I came all the way from Texas to see Gus...

Nice chatting with you again.

Actually, I came to visit my kids and grand kid. Just a perfect excuse to see The Man, and deliver a project.
Yes, it was good to see you again. I just didn't mention it because I didn't have your permission to post it when I wrote the post. I'm kind of a stickler for not mentioning people unless they already have given me permission to mention them.

Actually, your visit was the highlight of the day.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to mention one other thing from this weekend.

An owner who was new to the M14 came up describing a problem that had come up suddenly and recently. What he was describing was short stroking. He just happened to turn the rifle while he was describing the problem and I could see the spindle valve was turned the wrong way. He mentioned he had taken the gas cylinder apart to clean it right before the problems came up. Well, beside turning the spindle valve the wrong way, he also did not have the gas plug tight. Nothing else was wrong with that rifle.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
No problem at all. You can mention about the project, even the blow-by-blow detail during the build cycle, if you wish.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Met with Gus on Saturday, and he took the time to go through my new Maunz rifle. Looks like I'll be staying relatively stock with this one... I wasn't too knowledgable on the fact that all the 5.56 race guns are bringing home the National Match bacon these days... and to think that I might be able to knock 'em down with a real man's gun... DIEVIL Instead I'll be shooting the Manuz in the matches pretty much stock... all TRW and SA, but not fully-tweaked to NM standard. Hopefully, I can hold hard enough to make a modest showing, but we'll see how old and rheumy these eyes have gotten.

Anyway, Gus is quite the gentlemen and certainly a scholor of the subject... he's forgotten more than I'll ever know in the 1st place. It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to meet ya!

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyway, Gus is quite the gentlemen and certainly a scholor of the subject... he's forgotten more than I'll ever know in the 1st place. It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to meet ya!
And it was a pleasure to meet you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts