M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question has anyone use froglube on there m1a?and use it to replace the grease ? I use it on all of guns and love it.just wondering if it would replace the grease lubrication or will I still have to use the grease.
thanks

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Do a search here. In short, Froglube does not replace grease for the M1A. And, according to Froglube you can not use both together.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Do a search here. In short, Froglube does not replace grease for the M1A. And, according to Froglube you can not use both together.
Absolutely. Froglube is make to turn to a penetrating liquid under high heat, not what you want for your .30 calibre battle rifle. Great for most everything else though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely. Froglube is make to turn to a penetrating liquid under high heat, not what you want for your .30 calibre battle rifle. Great for most everything else though.

thanks now I know it works great in my ar's

·
Banned
654 Posts
I use FL exclusively on all my weapons (even knives). No problems yet. Im also pretty particular about keeping my stuff clean, so I really cant say how it will hold up through multiple uses as my gear gets a fresh coat every time.

I do however use my gear pretty hard. Run'N'Guns in the dirt in 90* heat with hundreds of rounds fired. After a couple of years of this, everything still works smooth as butter.

Try using the search window, there are multiple threads on this subject specific to this rifle.
GI2

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've been using Fireclean on my M1A's bore and chamber and grease everywhere where it should be. I figured that since it works so well on my other firearms in preventing carbon buildup, why not the M1A?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Grease where grease should go. Frogs all up in that chamber and bore. It cleans gooder than most clp's out therr.

Deuces

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
You guys who are using Frog Lube in the chamber and barrel, are you heating the barrel up prior to application? I've run Frog Lube on all of my pistols and heated everything up with a hair dryer for the initial application, should I do the same for the barrel and chamber of the M1A?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Heated the barrel and applied the looobe when I bought my second M1A. My first never recieved the initial heated treatment. I clean both bores with The Frogs and both look wonderful. Honestly, I can't tell one clean bore/chamber from the other.

Deuces

·
Banned
654 Posts
You guys who are using Frog Lube in the chamber and barrel, are you heating the barrel up prior to application? I've run Frog Lube on all of my pistols and heated everything up with a hair dryer for the initial application, should I do the same for the barrel and chamber of the M1A?
Yup. Its kinda a ritual with me now. The wifey will grab her hair dryer & hand it to me whenever I bring home a new gun, or when I go to clean up the gear after a long day of shooting.

She's well trained.
GI2

Now if I could just get her to actually clean my guns to....

·
Registered
823 Posts
I use TW25B on my SOCOM, mini-14, and M1 Carbine. Everything else gets rem oil.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I use it on all surfaces except:

Operating rod channel

Bolt roller - most nooks and some not-noobs neglect oiling their bolt roller (you can make a greater from a .45 case. )

Inside receiver where bolt travels

Locking lugs

And trigger group

Basically all the moving parts need grease.

I run a patch of frog treated cloth down the bore though and outside metal gets the cloth as well.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Don't know the specs on the Frog lube. My buddy runs it in his AR. I have never seen him shoot more that 100 rounds in a day.

I do know that Mil Tec 1 in a bore is not a good idea. It will demolish accuracy. But your bore is easier to clean afterwards. If that matters.

It is hard for me to get my head around the logic on home bore conditioning. I shoot a clean bore that has a predictable degradation pattern based on rounds fired. If you want to put stuff in your bore, more power to you. It is just hard for me to see how you would know that you coated all the barrel uniformly, and that it wears off uniformly. And that you would know when it would start to change how the gun shoots, and by how much.

I am old school. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is not.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use grease on ALL of my military weapons but I am a believer in frog lube in all of the barrels and straight up Frog lube on my pistols. I do heat the pistols up to apply the F.L but not the rifle barrels.

Believe it or not.....I've actually got copper filings out after using the F.L

2 passes through the dirty barrel after range time and viola'....then reapply. All of my military barrels are ultra clean but once again, Love grease on all of the moving parts.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use frog lub. I admit, I am not a high volume shooter, the highest volume is a few hundred rounds over a few hours. I have done the heat treatment( and redo it about once a year). Where you need grease, I use the paste. It does not melt away, there is still paste residue in good condition.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I use FL paste where there should be grease, i haven't observed any unusual wear so far.
As noted above it seems to stay where it is put.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did have an adverse reaction in my Savage MKII bolt but Frog Lube has a warning that I validated. The Frog lube reacted with the existing grease and produced gunk in areas not normally viewed or cleaned. Symptom was misfires. Just had to disassemble the bolt, clean it out an relube. Not an issue on my 14 or M1 as I had cleaned all parts beforehand.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I would not use Froglube in chrome lined bores. Maybe a light coat of oil before storage, but absolutely nothing with any solvent in it. Copper solvents and some CLP stuff is very bad for chrome plated parts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts