M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my order of Frog Lube and applied it to my AR-15. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and I've heard nothing but rave reviews on FL. Has anybody applied it to their m1a? There is a paste version and liquid, I wonder if the paste version can be used instead if grease.

The stuff smells great, like winter mint life savers candy. It's non toxic and you can eat it. Oh, it also made my hands soft.

What do you say m14tfl?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Applied FL to my m1a. The paste is sticking where it needs to. Smells great but I won't know how well it performs until I fire it. I coated all parts with it to help stop any potential rust. It also leaves a nice flat sheen on your rifle, kinda like a wax on your car but flat, not glossy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The paste / grease is as good as it gets for cleaning, lubing & protecting. Won't dry out like silicone that needs to be cleaned off B4 re application.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You guys should try moly?? Once it works into the pores of the metal it stays there and there is no metal to metal contact thus no wear. It reduces friction, prevents galling, doesn't attract dirt, fights corrosion, stays were we put it and stays wet even during long term storage your gun is ready to rock n roll at anytime. Plus the gun will cycle faster and smoother too. Even put some moly on the trigger sear and a tad in the gas system so that won't wear too. The trigger will be smoother and have 50% less trigger pull right away and even less as it works into the pores of the metal. Moly can make any gun, even the cheaper guns feel like a more expensive gun when its lubed correctly with moly.

I like to disassemble the gun and take the slide or bolt carrier or bolt and apply moly to the receiver rails and the bolt and burnish the moly in first so it gets a head start in getting into the pores of the metal. A good test of the moly is to try the bolt in the receiver dry or with oil first then burnish the moly into the metal by hand then wipe off the excess moly and try it by hand again to see the difference between the dry and the oil and the moly. Trust me this is the stuff your looking for my guns never leave home with it. Bill

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not to reopen an old dead topic but must say FL is one if not the best lubes I have ever seen used on any gun! This stuff is amazing, not only protecting your gun from rust but after the gun heats up it acts as a lube that comes out of the metal pores. I own quite a few guns and tho FL is not on all them yet every time I re clean a gun rest assured it will be getting this wonderful brilliant lube! The best part about it is once applied it is quite amazing how much easier it gets to clean your gun going forward!!!! One bottle of the stuff will last for quite awhile and work on may guns. http://froglube.com/

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've used froglube on my ARs' and my M&P9c and have had great results and one strange result.

On my favorite AR (M16A4 clone) my bolt carrier group is nickle boron coated. It seemed to not stick as well as on my phosphate coated BCGs'. It also seemed to basically become a minty smelling sludge on the nickle boron. In defense if the froglube, I was shooting wolf through it, maybe it was gunk from that, I don't know.

That being said, I do like froglube a lot. But when we are talking M1A, I'm sticking with grease for the moving parts and hoppes in the barrel.

Its great for an AR and handguns, but until I see someone else's sucess with it on an M1A/ M14 Its not going on mine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have it on my M14. I put some wax in all of the grease points and on the op rod and spring. No issues so far. Fine for keeping the barrel clean. I will see how it handles the cold in a few months.

·
Registered
74 Posts
For testing purposes I am going to use FL specifically on my new Scout and see what happens and report back with my findings. So for with about 60-70 rds through her no signs of wear!

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I highly reccomend using grease on your m14. frog lube is great , but its no replacement for grease.

run a search this is a common topic, and there are some experts that have weighed in.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I use FL on my 1911's and a few other handguns. I do love the stuff and it smells minty fresh.

As far as the paste goes I noticed after firing my 1911 the paste seems to breakdown a little bit turning into a soft almost runny paste. But still provides excellent protection on the moving parts. But I do strip and thoroughly clean my 1911 after each outing.

On a M1A it may work for a range session or two before having to be reapplied. It does not seem to hold up like grease. So for those of you who do break your rifle down often it may work just fine for your needs. I'd just keep a close eye on areas of contact for premature ware on the parts if you fire a few hundred rounds each outing and after multiple sessions.

Since my rifle is bedded I will only be breaking it down once a year for a thorough cleaning or if it needs it after getting dirty. I use Lubriplate 130-A which is tried and true and works great on all the areas I applied it to last Nov and are still greased very well. FL would not have held up anywhere near this.

Each lube has it's specialties, and as great as FL is, it is not a one hit wonder. If anyone does put their M1A through a FL torture test please give us your findings.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Each lube has it's specialties, and as great as FL is, it is not a one hit wonder. If anyone does put their M1A through a FL torture test please give us your findings.
This is exactly what I plan to do. This is not to prove any one right or wrong but to see what FL is made of! Being a Mechanic for the past 20 years I know plenty about Lubrplate and how great the stuff is, but I also feel that maybe their is some better stuff out their that can in fact be a true do everything lube. I will take pics of every tear down an will keep track of rds shot through my new rifle. IMHO if this stuff is good enough to work on full auto military weapons of various types it will plenty good for my semi auto rifle....or so I hope ;)

~There are only two types of people in this world, those that know and those that wish they did ~

·
Registered
661 Posts
don't know about the lubricity but I don't want any of my weapons smelling minty!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
don't know about the lubricity but I don't want any of my weapons smelling minty!!!
It only matters if you plan on eating your rifle LOL In all honesty the smell of FL is much better than any oil based solvent outvtheir and I paticuraly like it.

~There are only two types of people in this world, those that know and those that wish they did ~

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Frog Lube greatly reminds me of Tracklube, a non-toxic biodegradable lube I put on sliding glass door/window rails to keep them from squeaking.

Personally I've used all sorts of oils and greases for both my AR and M1A and really most anything will work as long as you keep the rifle clean which is the key thing. Greases are probably easier to live with in both rifles although you have to be careful about how you apply that grease in an AR or it will gum up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.