M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across about 1000 + rounds of surplus French made 8mm Lebel ammunition today. The dates range from 1917-48. All of the ammo is clean. I know all of the ammo right now is useless. Hard and faulty primers. Corrosive. Ect. It was all kinda just given to me, so I couldn't pass it up.

My question - Is the brass worth reloading? Pull the bullets and primers and reload? It is hard to find 8mm new manufacture, so would this be worth it getting into? A bunch of the ammo is on Hotchkiss machine gun strips...

With this ammo, I was also given a substantial amount of Syrian or Algerian made 7,5 French. Would this brass be worth reloading? I know the primers are bad. (this is from what I have been told, and read)

Any opinions would be great. I am new to the reloading game. I was just now was able to purchase some used reloading equipment. (poor Graduate student)

Thanks guys. CAMOHELMET

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been told that the ammo is bad by numerous people. I have not tried to shoot the 7,5 ammo yet. I have been told to try it in the MAS 36 and not the MAS 49 series because of various pressure problems. It should be good to go in the bolt action, but expect hang fires.

I do know for a fact that the 8mm Lebel would have to be reloaded. I did not know this ammo was primed that way. I assumed it was like the PRVI. I know realize I incorrect as that is not surplus or loaded anywhere close to the original specifications. Almost a whole different cartilage. (you can't load the 8mm Lebel into the 1886 pattern rifle tube because it will ignite the PRVI or commercial made ammo - - the primer cap is not doubled & the back of the round is layered differently)

I just don't know what to do now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have been told that the ammo is bad by numerous people. I have not tried to shoot the 7,5 ammo yet. I have been told to try it in the MAS 36 and not the MAS 49 series because of various pressure problems. It should be good to go in the bolt action, but expect hang fires.

I do know for a fact that the 8mm Lebel would have to be reloaded. I did not know this ammo was primed that way. I assumed it was like the PRVI. I know realize I incorrect as that is not surplus or loaded anywhere close to the original specifications. Almost a whole different cartilage. (you can't load the 8mm Lebel into the 1886 pattern rifle tube because it will ignite the PRVI or commercial made ammo - - the primer cap is not doubled & the back of the round is layered differently)

I just don't know what to do now.
I think the 7.5mm MAS ammo is useless. Most if not all European ammo is Berdan primed and not reloadable by conventional means. I could be wrong, the best way to find out would be to pull the bullet off of one round and check for primer holes. If there are two, it is Berdan primed and useless. The brass is only good as recycing scrap if you can deactivate the primers (good luck as they are probably mercuric). The bullets, if pulled carefully, can still be used though GI1. Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'll take it.

Seriously! I do this sort of thing all the time. I have the knowledge and time to 'salvage' this stuff, and I enjoy doing it. I'll even pay the shipping. dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.