M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys think of these USMC Walnut stocks fred has? Would the "Cloth like label" come off during rain?
http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/M14-USMC-Rifle-Stock-ST28.htm
Each marked with a cloth-like label affixed to the right lower buttstock, with the designation [Company] A, B, C, or H&S [Headquarters and Supply] along with a rack number. It's the "H&S" which provides the provenance of these stocks as coming from Marine Corps M14s; the US Army did not have an H&S company as part of the TO&E. A neat job and good way to distinguish your M1A from all the others in the rack. Best part: Each of these Walnut stocks grades out to excellent to near-new - as do the buttplates!

·
Premium Member
7,944 Posts
There are things that can be done to protect the cloth labels, like putting a layer of teak oil over them or some other finish. Just be careful when cleaning the stock, when ready to finish apply your final coat over the top of the label. I am sure there are other ways to do this that maybe better.

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
These look interesting - most of the stocks I get with any tape (it is normally pretty hard and you have to strip it off) and I have not seen much cloth/tape on the stocks!

However - if either or both are 50+ years old - you would likely have to be very careful particularly with exposure to the elements! The tape and markings were likely not intended to be long term parts of the stock! I think you have to take it as part of the past stock history and preserve it (being very careful) or if you are going to use it as your all the time carry stock it would have to be preserved in some way or you remove it during refinish! I like the rack markings on the stocks particularly the permanent stamped numbers as you can refinish them and keep them as part of the historical stock!

I will have to have Jack pull one out the next time I go up - if he still has the stocks!

M1Army

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I love markings on the stock like this. Really like the look of a gun with rack numbers on the stock too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
"Headquarters and Supply", or "Headquarters and Support"? Maybe the meaning of H&S Co. has changed over the years.

Either way, I may have to invest in one. Of course, I've never been in an H&S Co., so I'll have to ask "Fred" if he has an A, B, C, or D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.