M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i decided i may as well buy a new stock from fred's before he goes the way of the dodo. when i got to the checkout page the computer tells me that that next page is "untrusted" & gave lots of reasons why, all of which are over my head. has anyone else seen this on the checkout page? do yo think it is safe to enter cc info here? thanks!
andy

·
Registered
302 Posts
It has nothing to do with the mechanism for checkout or security (Good/Bad) for the site.

It is related only to the simple fact that the certificate he originally purchased from the CA (Verisign etc) has expired and he has not paid to renew.

BFD.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
i decided i may as well buy a new stock from fred's before he goes the way of the dodo. when i got to the checkout page the computer tells me that that next page is "untrusted" & gave lots of reasons why, all of which are over my head. has anyone else seen this on the checkout page? do yo think it is safe to enter cc info here? thanks!
andy
"Fred" has his problems but the untrusted site thing is not one of them. It has been like that for years, and as far as I know, no one including myself, has been ripped off because of that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yep.....I first ordered a Presentation Grade Walnut......took several months & several calls to get it. Not sure if the calls helped, or hurt....lol. Beautiful stock tho when it got here. Decided to order a Presentation Grade Birch a while back just to have both. It took about a month to get here....partially because I seem to have typed in the wrong credit card info, but it's really nice as well. Both were a bit dry from the years of storage, so I rubbed in some BLO, let it sit for a bit, and then wiped them down good. May rub in one more coat after a few days just to be sure they got enough soaked in. Both really beautiful stocks in my opinion, but I think my rifle will go in the walnut when I get it built, which is getting pretty close to happening, by the way!
Fred will send you a beautiful stock, but as mentioned.....be prepared to wait!! If you're in a hurry, go elsewhere!

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Yep.....I first ordered a Presentation Grade Walnut......took several months & several calls to get it. Not sure if the calls helped, or hurt....lol. Beautiful stock tho when it got here. Decided to order a Presentation Grade Birch a while back just to have both. It took about a month to get here....partially because I seem to have typed in the wrong credit card info, but it's really nice as well. Both were a bit dry from the years of storage, so I rubbed in some BLO, let it sit for a bit, and then wiped them down good. May rub in one more coat after a few days just to be sure they got enough soaked in. Both really beautiful stocks in my opinion, but I think my rifle will go in the walnut when I get it built, which is getting pretty close to happening, by the way!
Fred will send you a beautiful stock, but as mentioned.....be prepared to wait!! If you're in a hurry, go elsewhere!
Except for those Forum Members Who Have Specifically Posted Here...They Paid The Money...They Got NOTHING!!!

WHY Is That So Hard For Folks To Grasp !?!?

AARRGGHH!!

GI5

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: jens5

·
Registered
83 Posts
I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones. I have heard of many not getting anything at all even after their credit cards have been charged. Others that did get their stocks, but after over a year wait. I guess it's a crap shoot......maybe I should go to Vegas!
Patience, patience, patience.......it WILL take time. IF you get a presentation grade stock....it will be worth it. If you're starting a build, and taking your time to collect parts....order your stock first.......maybe it will be to you by the time you have everything else accumulated! Plenty of other sources for stocks, but if you don't mind the wait, or taking a chance........roll the dice & go Fred's!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
It wasn't the credit card payment page that ripped me off there... It was the jerk who took my card info, charged my card, and then never sent the stock that ripped me off. Others' experiences may vary, but that was mine.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
2,141 Posts
ahhhh yup....it should actually say untrusted site, seller and service the moment you get to it

good luck with your roll of the dice....don't spend what you aren't willing to risk losing

·
Registered
914 Posts
Fred's done safely.

And do remember that some credit cars companies, like Amex, will stand behind your purchase situation. If you don't receive what you paid for, they will debit the seller back toute suite. Worth checking with your credit card company or bank debit card services. I know Amex works this way very well, no questions (they will initially suspend the debit so you don't have to honor it until they check it all to. Imagine if they called Fred and he wouldn't talk to them! Bingo-bongo: he's history with them on that sale! Haha!)

BTW; will his presentation grade stocks replace the heavier style NM stock that SAI fits to their rifles? Are these stocks essentially all the same dimensions? I guess the better question is: are all M1A/M14 receivers for practical purposes the same dimensions? I know it would have to be re-epoxy bedded to match the factory job, but is that a possibility?

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the info, on both sides. fred's brings another question to the debate. where does fred's get these stocks? if this is gov surplus then don't everybody have a chance at auction? inside deal? i see mil vehicle dealers advertising "Norwegian or Belgian return" jeeps & such for sale but upon an inquire as to how they got their hands on gov surplus without it being offered at auction to everyone else they clam up tighter than a box turtle in an ant bed. it's just that i see gov surplus (like hummers) being offered for sale & not been through public auctions. just curious. later.
andy

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
2,141 Posts
If I recall correctly

Freds was high bidder a few years back on a government surplus auction for the wood that came off the Captain Crunch-destroyed M14 weapons during the "Clinton Years"

A lot of the wood originally still had the slings, cleaning kits and some trigger groups still stuck in the stocks

I recall hearing the story from Tony Pucci at Orion 7 that the idiot and a few buddies showed up with pick-up trucks when he was notified that he won the auction....thought they could haul it away piece-meal

the military pitched a fit because they wanted the wood out of there completely and quickly

and he damn near soiled himself when he realized he needed a few semi-trailers to move the mountain....

I recall Pucci got a tractor load of the wood from Freds at a song at the time as Freds was scrambling to get the wood off the government property

Pucci's stash had long since gotten down to the kindling grade wood

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.