M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally had to buy this E-2 configuration from an old established gun shop. It sat in the corner in an old barrel.Its been there for at least a couple years. Can anyone tell me what this monstrosity is? Thanks CappyXMX
And yes, I know...The only Woodstock I knew was my M-14.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well....its a 3-4 hundred dollar hunk of wood.

I'll give you 50 bucks if you want to donate it to a good charity (me). :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Want the Van

Could I interest you in a trade for the Vw Van!! Nice E2 stock , expensive when you can find one. Now you just need to fill it with some cold hard steel!MCORPS1

·
Registered
708 Posts
The wood itself looks pretty sound. The fold down fore-grip is missing and it looks like the buttplate might also not be original. Lacking those, I doubt it would be worth the $300-$400 previously mentioned. Original replacement metal will be hard to find but I have seen reproduction pieces.

I like the handling of the E2 stocks and keep a couple rifles set up with them. The scoped/walnut is a commercial clone E2 that I think was made for SAI in the early days. The camo painted stock is a much modified GI birch that needed some serious TLC when I acquired it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a chance and it cost me $26.93. The rifles above are just beautiful. Are there supposed to be any marking on this stock? Did SAI make a reproduction of these?

CappyXMX :ARM37:

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
E2 stock

It looks to me like you got a great deal. The butt doesn't appear to have been altered even though the butt pad is not correct. I think what you have is a good original GI E2 stock without the correct hardware. So, it can be restored at a very reasonable cost.

I remember seeing stripped stocks like this one at Twin City Surplus in Reno for $14.95. Of course that was in 1970 something. They had a bushell basket of them.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Congrats on your find. I am sure you will have her all put together with the bells and whistles of your choice. I believe SAI made reproductions of the M14E2 A1 as an option and may have been some what limited during that time.

Here is one of my Mistress.DI5

Miss Eleanor

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I think Ted is right. USGI birch stock with the wrong hardware,note the cut out for the full auto switch. The picture Oryguner posted doesn't have the cut out and is what SAI use to sell. There are some "correct " reproduction buttplate pieces on www.Sturmgewehr.com from Dean in IL...h orginal e2 stock and a walnut reproduction.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I took a chance and it cost me $26.93. Are there supposed to be any marking on this stock?
If you remove the rubber butt pad, there may be a manufacturer marking stamped into the end of the stock:

S A = Springfield Armory
C A L = Canadian Arsenals Limited
S under a half-diamond = Sykes Manufacturing

Let us know what you find. BTW, you made out like a bandit. GITEN

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ted, Twin City Surplus is still in business. I'm going to scout their "junkyard"-who knows. They have so much STUFF all over the place.
The funny thing about this is I must of looked at that stock for at least a year and pulled in out of that old barrel at least 6 times. One of the sales people thought it might go to a Ruger 10/22. Thanks to the information on this forum, I was able to at least identify what it was or supposed to be.
I took the rubber butt plate off and it has markings!
S (half diamond) on top
5910438 BANANA1
A Sykes stock from what you gentlemen informed me.
Anyway-now I HAVE TO get some metal. Just when I thought I was going to be thrifty... And Eleanor is sure a looker/shooter.
Not sure of what an original butt plate is supposed to look like. I know it was metal and different from the standard M14. Is there any specific markings ?

Thanks for the information Gentlemen

CAPPYXMX

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Cappy, the original buttplate was rubber, with a fold up metal shoulder plate. If you buy those parts off Sturmgewehr including the 2 rubber stoppers for the screw holes you will only need to find the metal shoulder plate and the pin that holds it on to complete the buttplate. I have a scan of a parts break down of the E2 stock,I pm'd you to get your email address.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What goes around...

Gentlemen,

I pondered on this awhile and decided to offer this E2 on the Donauction. Someone else could sculpture their work of art better than myself. Besides, I just bought a match Garand in .308. ICONWINK.All of your info was greatly appreciated. It should be listed on the Donauction soon.

Thanks Again, CappyXMX

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gentlemen,

I pondered on this awhile and decided to offer this E2 on the Donauction. Someone else could sculpture their work of art better than myself. Besides, I just bought a match Garand in .308. ICONWINK.All of your info was greatly appreciated. It should be listed on the Donauction soon.

Thanks Again, CappyXMX
Cappy, I'm confused...where are you offering it?

I'd be interested in purchasing

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Donauction on this site...where the proceeds are donated to this marvelous site and forums. I am awaiting assistance from one of the moderators. CappyXMX

1 - 16 of 16 Posts