M14 Forum banner

Found some Port "Bala Normal" surplus...

5966 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  turbotype87
It is in 200 round battle packs. Bag marked FNM- 78-20.

Berdan primed? Go buy it? It's $100 per BP. Anyone know the bullet weight?

Thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,584 Posts
i think it is to much for a bp. i buy port surplus from a local gunshow here in s. loosiana for $75.00 a 200rd bp. it's '82 & '83 headstamped. some of the bp have pinholes in them and cases show some corrosion. more pinholes = more corrosion. not so bad as some of the DAG/MEN that is being reported in a running thrd. i've never had to toss any out, but did have to clean. i also had a sh*tload of '78-79 that was spotless. if possible check a few boxes and go from there. all of it shoots/shot great in my 7.62 rifles, semi-auto & bolt.
and yes, it's berdan primed, nato 147gr. +/-

· Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,988 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

It is in 200 round battle packs. Bag marked FNM- 78-20.
Berdan primed? Yes. Go buy it? Sure. It's $100 per BP Or 50 cents a round. Anyone know the bullet weight? 147.
Thanks!
The Military Surplus Ammunition I have tested

Portuguese, '78, [ BF ], Berdan, three star crimp with green primer sealant. NATO headstamp
Portuguese, '78, [ FNM ], Berdan, three star crimp with green primer sealant. NATO headstamp

It's still clean and ready to go.DI5

Reactions: leadbug

· Registered
4,744 Posts
I love the Portuguese 7.62x51 NATO and I long for the good old days back when AIM Surplus had it for $135.00 per 1K round case + shipping. It was good clean stuff and has always been very accurate in my M-14 gas guns. Portuguese is among my favourite milsurp ammo and I have around five unopened cases in my stash + other amounts of it in .50 cal GI ammo cans.

However the price you're quoting is .50 cents per round which figures out to be $500.00 per case. This is far too rich for this poor boys blood. If it were me, I'd pass on it unless I was completely surrounded by hungry Zombies and desperately needed more ammo. Then it would be a killer deal...

7th

· Registered
694 Posts
The days of 15 cent surplus 7.62 aren't coming back....and I know most of us look at 50 cent ammo and shake our heads in disbelief. I stock piled a crap load at 17 cents and wish I had done more.

For a new shooter starting out, it's going to be tough at today's prices to get a real stash set aside. Port 7.62 always shot "OK" out of my M-1As, but not anywhere near match ammo...or DAG for that matter. If it's clean, you might get it, but first I'd look at the Privi boxer primed ammo for the same price....and learn to reload the empties.

· Banned
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Yes, I am planning on reloading, which is part of my trying to weigh all the costs and positive/negative aspects out.

Since I can't reload them, I am leaning towards passing on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.