M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have M14's and Garands but this is my first 1903. A gentleman i've known for years, and have been trading guns with has had this for a longtime. He had shown it to me once a few years back. I expressed my intereste in it then but he would not sell. He told me it was given to him by his uncle. Well the other day i'm talking with him about gun trading and he says "are you still interseted in that old gun, that 1903". I said i might be how much? " He told me 300 and i said, "consider it sold if it will shoot". Anyway, here are some pics of it. I brought it home tonight and plan on shooting it tomorrow. Even if it doesn't shoot good i plan on keeping it because i've already gotten attatched to it. The stock looks to be in pretty good condition, no cracks just the usual dings here and there that you see in these old military guns. The metal looks good as well, not a lot of wear on the finish. There are little R's stamped in alot of places and the barrel has a flamming bomb and the numbers 8-42 under it on the barrel. So,Tell me what you think. Thanks

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
very cool! do my eyes decieve me or is the bolt handle straight down (not swept back at all)?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very cool! do my eyes decieve me or is the bolt handle straight down (not swept back at all)?
I think it's straight down. What does that mean? I'm not up on these rifles just yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Remington 1903

What you have is what is referred to as a 1903 modified. Remington began making 1903s in Oct/Nov 1941 using old Rock Island Arsensal machinery that was stored after WWI so the early Remington 1903s were just like SA and RIA 1903s. In order to streamline production and decreases costs Remington submitted changes to the Ordnance department that were rolled into production beginning approx 3/42ish and eventually the rifle became the 1903A3 which was produced by both Remington and Smith-Corona. Your barrel is likely original based upon your serial. A couple of the mods your rifle has are, no relief cuts on the sides of the breech near the rear sight, and, the stamped steel trigger guard. Hope that helps. There are a couple of 1903 gurus on the CMP site, Rick the Librarian, and James Beard.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Very nice, might as well sell it to me!GI6

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sir, you absolutely stole that rifle for $300. Congrats. As has been mentioned post your pics over on the CMP site and Rick or John will be able to tell you a lot about it. Enjoy.

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
What you have is what is referred to as a 1903 modified. Remington began making 1903s in Oct/Nov 1941 using old Rock Island Arsensal machinery that was stored after WWI so the early Remington 1903s were just like SA and RIA 1903s. In order to streamline production and decreases costs Remington submitted changes to the Ordnance department that were rolled into production beginning approx 3/42ish and eventually the rifle became the 1903A3 which was produced by both Remington and Smith-Corona. Your barrel is likely original based upon your serial. A couple of the mods your rifle has are, no relief cuts on the sides of the breech near the rear sight, and, the stamped steel trigger guard. Hope that helps. There are a couple of 1903 gurus on the CMP site, Rick the Librarian, and James Beard.
Just to add a few comments here to maybe clarify, but the '03 Modified was a standard '03 with the large rear sight mounted on the barrel, but the "modified" designation came from having stamped metal parts, such as trigger guards, barrel bands, etc. Same stamped parts as on the 03-A3, the only difference being the rear sights.

As for your bolt, the bolt handle looks like it comes straight down, not slightly swept back. This would be an old case hardened bolt and should not be fired. Save it for a restoration of an old WW1 case hardened receiver. WW2 production bolts are still quite readily available. In Clark Campbell's book on the '03 rifle, he states that back in the early 1960's, an airman put a case hardened bolt in his rifle to smoothen up the action and the bolt failed. It basically shattered, and even the bolt handle broke off and it doesn't even bare on anything!!! That airman lost an eye from that bolt failure.

What else is stamped on the barrel, as far as manufacturer? RA, SA, HS would be typical barrel markings, in addition to your mentioned date and flaming bomb.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks that is some real good info. I plan on breaking it down farther and looking for more markings and will be posting pics of what i find. It's real interesting finding out the history of a rifle like this.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Unless the barrel is shot out it should shoot very well. Century should have a bolt for your rifle. If you replace the bolt you should check headspace. I have found that most of the time, replacement bolts on a 1903 will headspace just fine.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Great find. Overall it looks great and with the aforementioned bolt replacement it should be good to go. Let us know how it shoots when you get her done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts