M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked up some loads this past weekend with pulled 147 grain bullets I got cheap a while back. I basically wanted something for plinking that I could load cheap. Doing a ladder test, I found a load with great accuracy <2 MOA with red dot and the same POI as my milsurp ammo. However the most accurate load was 45 grains of 4895 in military LC brass. Velocities were approaching 2800 fps out of an 18.5 barrel. German DAG chronoed 2650 and RG around 2750. Do my handloads seem a little too hot? I could definitely feel the difference between it and the DAG on my shoulder. The brass had no pressure signs. No extractor/ejector marks, no cratered primers, etc.

Short version:
45.0 grains IMR 4895
LC brass
147 FMJ

Too hot?

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
If I were loading a "plinking" load, I'd load to the low middle range of recommended load data, or just something that cycles the action reliably and is soft shooting.

That seems a bit hot. What primers are you using?

Tony.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Would agree that it is definitely on the warm side and personally would not advise a steady diet of that load. Am confident that a lesser load could be developed that would give satisfactory accuracy. I load same components but at 42 grains w/ same bullet and does OK. In your case velocity seems to give you accuracy but as a rule velocity does not always equate to accuracy.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually care more about POI than accuracy. I was trying to find a load with similar POI to the DAG. That way I plink with the reloads and have the DAG ready for a rainy day without resighting.

I'll drop the powder load, or try 8208 xbr. I think that burns even faster than 4895 so it might work out on the short barrel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I worked up some loads this past weekend with pulled 147 grain bullets I got cheap a while back. I basically wanted something for plinking that I could load cheap. Doing a ladder test, I found a load with great accuracy <2 MOA with red dot and the same POI as my milsurp ammo. However the most accurate load was 45 grains of 4895 in military LC brass. Velocities were approaching 2800 fps out of an 18.5 barrel. German DAG chronoed 2650 and RG around 2750. Do my handloads seem a little too hot? I could definitely feel the difference between it and the DAG on my shoulder. The brass had no pressure signs. No extractor/ejector marks, no cratered primers, etc.

Short version:
45.0 grains IMR 4895
LC brass
147 FMJ

Too hot?
According to published data that is a little hot. [ETA]You might want to back it down to between RG and DAG. All else being equal, including peak chamber pressure, short barrels result in lower muzzle velocity.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
That load is technically fine it's just max so you'll have to keep an eye on it as changing temperatures, primer types, powder lots can push you over the top and you might pop a primer here and there.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was pushing 100 degrees out when I shot and still didn't have any pressure signs. But there is no point causing additional wear for plinking so I'll back it down a bit. My manual said max was around 46.5 grains, but I wasn't going to go that high, especially with the velocities I saw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts