M14 Forum banner

Found a crease in ATF Regs? Is this guy right?

2441 Views 46 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  ChicagoMike
This Is NOT a Firearm - YouTube

This guy shows a standsrd Walker Colt replica and explains that it is not regulated as a firearm because it is a black powder cap-and-ball gun. /Then he shows the sam,e gun with a cartridge conversion cylinder. He says that both may be ordered online and delivered to one's door without restriction.

So he is shooting a centerfire cartridge gun that may not be regulated as a firearm.

Can this be right?
Reactions: JeffG
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
6,373 Posts
No.

The Colt cap-and-ball black powder pistol is not a "firearm."

The cartridge conversion cylinder is a spare part, not a "firearm."

However, once you assemble the conversion cylinder into the cap-and-ball pistol, you have "manufactured" a firearm, specifically a pistol, according to the ATF, and any local restrictions on pistols will now apply to the new creation.

· Registered
635 Posts
I've made this same observation and had the same question for a long time. I never contemplated that assembling the two means you are 'constructing a firearm' but that does make sense through the BATF lens.

· Registered
374 Posts
An AR15, according to the current definition of what constitutes a firearm, doesn't require a serial # either since neither the upper nor the lower contain the TOTALITY OF SPECIFIED parts required to meet the codified definition of a firearm. ATF has dropped charges on several occasions so as to not draw attention to this and possibly set legal precedent.

Just goes to show that ATF is a rogue agency that makes up the rules as it goes along, often reverses it's prior decisions on what is approved, issues contradictory opinion letters, etc.

Can you buy the Colt copy and legally install the replacement cylinder ?? Yes, you can. As far as I'm aware, manufacturing your own firearm is still legal unless there is some state or local law prohibiting such. Also home built firearms built for personal use are NOT required to have a serial # per current rules.

· Civilian Non-Combatant
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
n my un-informed opinion . . .it seems to me that in a jurisdiction where it is still legal to assemble or create a firearm at home for one's own use, that swapping the cylinders should be considered the same.

· Civilian Non-Combatant
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
YouTube guy is a moron
I can see how that might be thought of him.

Paradimes do shift over time though. "YouTube Guy" does have 2 1/2 million paying subscribers and millions of views of his various episodes. There has got to be some serious coin there for him.

He seems to be a moron who is aqble to support himself and have a ball doing it.

· Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I can see how that might be thought of him.

Paradines shift over time though. "YouTube Guy" does have 2 1/2 million paying subscribers and millions of views of his various episodes. There has got to be some serious coin there for him.

He seems to be a moron who is aqble to support himself and have a ball doing it.
What is a “paradine”…….

· Registered
12,503 Posts
ATF doesnt regulate black powder guns, but states can. With the passage of one of our recent laws, BP is now considered a firearm and must be treated like any other firearm, regardless what ATF says.
So mail order of BP rifles now must go thru an FFL.
In the eyes of WA state, if it fires a projectile, its a firearm. I think air guns are still just air guns though.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts