M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have added on the forward optic mounts that come on the scout rifles. Reason I ask is I was looking at the mounts at the gun store and saw they are held in place by 6 hex style screws. I've thought about adding one of these onto my standard model. I've talked to SA and they are available from them with the handguard. I was told they will work on the regular rifles as well. Just need to use the handguard they ship with the mount.

I'm still debating the optics thing and wanted to toss this question out to see if anyone here has gone that route. It would be great to mount up an Aimpoint, EOTech, ect out on the front instead of back up close to your eyes.

What do you guys think? It would look like a full size "scout" minus the shortend barrel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe the Springfield mounts are aluminum and there has been some question regarding zero as the aluminum is subject to the heat of the barrel (I haven't heard of any guys with Scouts having this problem though). Also if you get and ARMS or Smith mount you're not restricting yourself to long eye relief scopes so you could interchange between Aimpoint or scope using the same mount.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gunslinger said:
I believe the Springfield mounts are aluminum and there has been some question regarding zero as the aluminum is subject to the heat of the barrel (I haven't heard of any guys with Scouts having this problem though). Also if you get and ARMS or Smith mount you're not restricting yourself to long eye relief scopes so you could interchange between Aimpoint or scope using the same mount.
Ahh, point taken. Thanks Gunslinger. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have used an Aimpoint and Trijicon Reflex on my scout mount with great success. You sacrifice some target shooting accuracy over 200 yards compared to iron sights due to the 4moa dot with these sights, but for non-target shooting, it gives you quick acqusition since you can keep both eyes open.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I removed the forward sight mount that came on my M1A Scout Squad Rifle. I also removed the slotted handguard, and the muzzle brake. and put the entire action in a standard USGI M14 stock. The forward sight mount blocked the irons and had an entirely different zero. Just wasn't worth the hassle for me.

I have the M68 CCO on my personal M4 Carbine and like it very much in that role.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Law483 said:
W30Olds,

You may want to wait until after the SHOT show. Looks like a very promising year for the M-14 Type rifle. I think some new options may present themselves.

Take Care,

Tony
Tony,

What is the SHOT show? Never heard of that before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.