• businesses should be able to refuse entry to open carriers

Votes: 66 36.1%
  • rights are all good and well until you exercise them

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • I live in an open carry state

Votes: 82 44.8%
  • I don't live in an open carry state

Votes: 43 23.5%
  • The stigma around open carry is no different than that experienced by other civil rights issue

Votes: 31 16.9%
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading the thread about Target and open carry, and after stuffing myself with popcorn, I was left wondering, what do gun owners really think about open carry? A lot of people spoke as if they knew, but do they really? How many people didn't post because they didn't want to get into a pissing contest? I decided to start a poll. It is not all inclusive, just questions I thought of that I think are pertinent. There are more questions but polls on this forum are limited to 20 options.

And for Christ's sake, today is Independence Day, please wait until tomorrow to hurl personal attacks and get the thread deleted.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
While the ability to open carry would be nice-I assume a population who would understand it.

In the meantime I will go with cc.

Happy 4th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
On my own time I carry concealed, but for 64+ hours a week I open carry at work. Ohio is an open carry state, however it has a number of gotchas. Most notable, you can't open carry in a vehicle without a concealed carry permit. Stupid. The reality is concealed carry is the way to go for most folks in most situations. Now when the end of the world hits ....

As to the anti-gun crowd - they hate everything anyway.

Rich

Reactions: Beavis1971

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I think, tactically, open carry is wrong in the more urban areas. I watched a 21 year old KID open carry his glock in a waffle house the other day. I could walk right by him and disarm him in 2 seconds if I wanted to. Not that I needed to because I had my 1911 under my shirt but frankly I think its a little weird.

Now open carrying in the woods/property or less urban areas is perfectly fine. But when you start going to restaurants/ target stores etc with a large body of people is when I think, tactically, you are an idiot.

People walking into stores with long guns is just plain stupid and does nothing but make gun owners look like "strange rangers". The reality of the situation is WE DON'T LIVE IN A WAR ZONE. Leave your AR15 at home until its actually needed.

My opinion is just put your friggen shirt over it and you won't have any issues.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Needs an "I support long gun open carry also, when done with common sense."

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
A long and bumpy trail.........

Good idea for a poll. We bring many subjects to this forum that are taboo in our communities. The day will come that open carry will be a necessity in our country. It will be a bumpy ride getting to that point.

Hobo

·
Registered
909 Posts
Unfortunately, I am stuck in the communist spend-o-crat peoples republic of Maryland until the wife finally wakes up to the reality of the oppressive government here.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
I support the right of all law abiding citizens to carry a firearm for protection.

I do not support the right of all law abiding citizens to be an idiot.

The type of firearm and method of carry should be determined by the percieved threat and the nature of the environment. There is a time and place for everything.

Someone who carries an AR-15 into a Wal-Mart should not be charged with a weapons violation, but he should be charged with being an idiot. RNGR1

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
2A, either you do all the time, or you're the problem. It's never conditional and wasn't ever meant to be conditional.

Either you are a believer in the Bill of Rights, or just wasting good air someone else could breathe.

Suffer no fools.

BUT, you can make the decision to walk the Earth unarmed at any time or occasion, and that should strictly be your call.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I can have a beer with lunch and go back to work, and I can have a case of beer with lunch and go back to work.

Just because I can, doesn't mean I should. Not saying there aren't situations that warrant drinking a bottle of Jack, but they're few and far between. And daily isn't the place for it.

Open carry is the same way. There are situations that warrant a rifle, but everyday for the sake of doing it isn't it.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Personally....I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying. It's a last resort tool, always concealed. I carry for protection....not to be a billboard for Gun Rights or show off my guns. I live in a OC legal State. It's rare to see people OC'ing...but when you do it's typically a younger person with a Glock or other tupperware in a Uncle Mike's holster.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I like open carry because it keeps the ccw holders from being arrested if some one sees it but to walk though target fully strapped is just trying to start a fight with people who normally would be quiet. Open carry should not be banned but people should not go looking for a fight where there isn't one.

Good fences make good neighbors and in this case the fence is a t shirt.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Well crap. So far I've stayed out of the OC debate on here as I'm not much for pissing matches. Since Garrard pointed out that this is in fact Independence Day I guess I might as well take a dissenting opinion - My view on OC in general is this:

It's not much of a right if you can't use it, or are publicly shamed every time you do.

If I lived in Detroit, I might want (who am I kidding - I might NEED) to OC an AR15. I know more than a couple of vets that "came back" that didn't feel right without a firearm. Who am I to tell somebody not to do something because I don't like it just based on my feelings. Don't "we" have a general aversion to the anti-gun people here for doing the same thing to "us", but over general ownership of weapons? It's the same debate. We can do it, or we can't - there is no grey area.

I see divide and conquer is working well for the bad guys. I see hunters saying we don't need AR15's and X round mags, then I see lots of indecisiveness for what's "socially acceptable" when it comes to your "need" for carry options. It's no wonder we can't get our CENSOREDGI together and tell the anti's to shove off..

So far all I'm hearing is that the general population isn't ready to be "unplugged" yet. They are so hopelessly dependent on the system that they can't possibly be bothered to think outside of what the government tells them is acceptable, or to not be a busybody when it comes to someone carrying something as innocuous as a glock *gasp* outside of his shirt. Everything has to be taboo, everything has to have a law.. Give me a break.

How do we turn public opinion of it? I'm not sure it's by joining with the anti's and throwing rocks at the guy who is doing nothing wrong.

For the record, I live in a state that leaves it to the municipalities for OC rules, and I do not carry, except when in the woods target shooting. Just because I don't, doesn't mean I don't support those that do though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Im in PA, I have a CC and PA is open carry.
I always CC my sidearm, sometimes ill openly carry it, but if im in a crowded area, or at an event I always keep the pistol concealed.

Usually the only time I ever openly carry is when im walking the trails or what not.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I believe the constitution says we shale not have our right to own and carry infringed.
My belief is all gun laws are unconstitutional including the 1938 machine gun act.
That doesn't mean I am going to carry my M1A with me everywhere but I think I legally could according to the constitution.
Well all I have to say for now.
Greg

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Your poll has waaaaay too many boxes for me.

Anyways I support Open Carry as long as there is a logical reason behind it and if you are doing it as some sort of protest be smart about it.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm for open carry, but it's not something I would do as a primary option. Concealed carry would be my first choice. Out of sight, out of mind as far as others are concerned.

Reactions: cavtruper

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Whoever is not with me, is against me.

Matthew 12:30

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
People that may have chosen to be "honest" in some answers must realize that there is a war on your rights.

When you fill out a questionaire , keep in mind that it IS us against them and...

... A cord of three strands cannot be easily broken
Eclessiasties 4:12

1 - 20 of 90 Posts