M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I will admit, I knew about this forum for some time, just lurking about soaking up info and admiring all of the pics of M14's and variants.

I first shot a NM Springfield Armory M1A at a young age of 8 or so, and immediately fell in love. It was grandpa's rifle and he taught me how to shoot and clean it. Went on my first hunting trip at 12 and guess what I took... grandpa's M1A with a blocked 20 round mag. The look on the Ranger's face was priceless when I exited the back of dad's truck. Everyone else had bolt action rifles and there I am, this 80 pound kid with this awesome rifle. At 18 upon graduation high school I received the M1A as a gift from my grandfather. It is my prized possession. I wish it could speak, the stories it would tell.

I have looked to try and find the closest thing I could find to a "birth date" for the rifle but can't say I've had much luck. There is a "P" in a circle burned into the grip of the stock, I understand this to be a "proof mark"?

I just ordered a Bassett scope mount for it about a week ago, I realize I will probably be waiting about 6 months, ugh, before I get it. I placed the order then found a thread on here about the company. I'm in no rush, I learned on irons so it's not like I NEED it. lol.

I'm new to forums in general so navigating the site is still a trial by fire event. I don't even know how to upload a pic...maybe I just figured it out, idk.

Anyways, that's a little about me and my M1A. I look forward to discussions about this awesome weapon system.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,202 Posts
Welcome on board VaderDad, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome on board and have yourself a great week. Just call Springfield Armory Inc. customer service @ #800-680-6866 tomorrow morning to find out the born date.

Reactions: VaderDad

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Welcome from the So CA desert

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Welcome from Southeast Texas.

Judging by the serial number you have a very early model.

Nice.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have looked to try and find the closest thing I could find to a "birth date" for the rifle but can't say I've had much luck. There is a "P" in a circle burned into the grip of the stock, I understand this to be a "proof mark"?
Thanks.
Welcome to the forum VaderDad. Your weapon was assembled between July and August of 1976. Nice 5-line receiver, but I do't think it's a Devine. Serial number is a little too high. Looks like a nice match rifle. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts