M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on several forums and the recent change in this forum's format has me wondering what the business model is for Forums/Discussion groups. It seems obvious that the costs are covered by advertising and it seems that this forum is under new ownership.

I've learned that nothing in life is free, most endeavors like this done for profit. A lot off "free to the consumer" services are done for profit (i.e. network TV, Facebook, Twitter, and the list goes on).

I don't want to discuss the changes to this form in this thread, I'm more interested in the business model.

Do companies buy up forums based on their membership? I know the software/web support platforms are proprietary and have a cost associated.

Anyone have any insights into the business model?

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Seriously? You are the business model, plain and simple, you are now a product to sell to advertisers and of course buy a membership for special privileges, features if you so desire.
Nothing wrong with that either, their board their rules.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously? You are the business model, plain and simple, you are now a product to sell to advertisers and of course buy a membership for special privileges, features if you so desire.
Nothing wrong with that either, their board their rules.
That is the easy part to understand.

Are these holding companies? What is the overhead? Profit margin? Big players in the game? US based or foreign? Software licences? (and fees associated with them?) Billing structure?

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Well if you go to FAQ under Copyright this is what you find. Yu could start your research from there.

Second Media Corp.
111 Peter, Suite 901
Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada
Attention: Copyright Agent
248-663-4440
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if you go to FAQ under Copyright this is what you find. Yu could start your research from there.

Second Media Corp.
111 Peter, Suite 901
Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada
Attention: Copyright Agent
248-663-4440
Email: [email protected]
It appears that they are an advertising company that specializes in outdoor products (like beretta). I assume they are using this as an outlet to link to their advertisements and sell space to other companies. That still leaves a lot of questions about the industry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts