M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Words from a member of the Fifth Marines (not mine personally) after fighting in Hue for two weeks now ...

“Throughout all of this, you constantly had this fear. Not so much that you were going to die, because I think to a certain degree that was a given. This was combined with the semi-darkness type of environment that we were fighting in because of the low overcast – the fact that we didn't see the sun – gave it a very eerie, spooky look. You had this utter devastation all around you. You had this horrible smell. I mean you just cannot describe the smell of death especially when you're looking at it a couple of weeks along. It's horrible. It was there when you ate your rations. It was almost like you were eating death. You couldn't escape it.”
Yours Truly

Got a few more days left till my "special day of lost body parts" in that septic tank ...
Hangin' in there as best I can ...GI5

Six Out

·
Retired
4,768 Posts
Hang in there buddy. It is often called the horrors of war, and aptly so. It is something human beings should not have to do...

·
Registered
520 Posts
God, Country and Corps---in that order.

Were thinking of you Six.

Semper Fidelis

Siefly
MC1

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Just remember, here, you are not alone. Good thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Just remember, here, you are not alone. Good thoughts are with you.
Hang In There!
The Bad Memories are are slowly fading away, the Fond and Proud ones prevail (in my case anyway)!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
We made three tours to the Tonkin Gulf and Yankee/Dixie Stations during my time on board the USS Rainier AE-5, (62-66), for a total of almost 30 months over there. We were there for the Tonkin Gulf Incident in 8-64, as well as for Operation Starlite at Chui Lai in 65. We got home the last time Feb 10th 66 and I got out 8-66. Some things you never forget, such as how the pukes in San Francisco treated us back then.

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2261

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,Leatherneck_050815_Starlite,00.html

7th

·
Marine
176 Posts
Semper Fi amigo.

I think we all left something there. Some of us will never know exactly what it was that changed, others are reminded of it every day....... and the rest, well they left everything there.

We're all with you brother.

·
Registered
53 Posts
13 April will mark the day 43 years ago (1968) when I got popped by the NVA while on a no-name operation 2 clicks east of Hue.
Welcome home to all my brethren who survived and came home, and a hand salute for all the men who didn't come back alive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can't remember who this quote belongs to, but if fits:

"The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts