M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
This is an excellent idea in theory. Depending on the soldier's wound it could be ineffective. Still something that could definitely save lives and reduce additional casualties. As I am no operator, I think I am going to get a few of them for the kayaks this summer. It would be an easy item to attach to my boat for use when docking with other boats or the like. Also if you attach a small float to it it could be useful if someone capsizes in the Mississippi and needs a hand.

·
"Death From Above"
11,922 Posts
Not that I'm putting this guys device down but rescue throwing bags have been around for some time. Not that I have seen a military grade one. I hope the govt buys them and we see a survivors video one day.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Very specific( and limited) in scope and use. If victim is unconscious, it's useless. Rope and grappling hook might be better( or have a rope tied to them already). BTw, what did 'victim' hook it to ( behind his head, using both hands)?

5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that was my first thought as well GeneCo. But as with any combat equipment, it has its particular uses (strengths/weaknesses).

If the WIA has even one hand to use it could still function all they would have to do is clip it on the front of their molle gear (rather than at the molle gear neck loop/"drag handle" behind their head)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I got paid big $s setting up and running training scenarios that let Soldiers/Marines try to rescue a wounded buddy in that situation. Instead of screwing around with a drag system the Soldiers/Marines should be focusing on winning the fight and then letting the medics "rescue" the wounded. Far less casualties that way. There's a reasong the enemy drops a Soldier/Marine like that and leaves him wounded in the street.....only Americans will stop an entire attack, squad to battalion, to try to rescue one wounded Soldier/Marine. Yah, I know, I'm heartless....but I'd kill 2 - 3 more at least and get away in that scenario if I were the enemy.....I've done it too many times and it always works......win the fight 1st....then treat the wounded.

Larry Gibson

5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^

That's because Western Nations tend to revere life whereas their opponents generally disregard life.

There's nothing wrong with treating/rescuing your wounded WHILE ALSO FIGHTING THE BATTLE. Seconds matter when you're blown up... so why not be rescued (and have a chance at being saved) as your surrounding mates carry on with the fight?

Leaving your dying to actually bleed out (die) defeats the entire purpose of Esprit De Corp /teamwork.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Certainly can't divert an entire operation in progress for a casualty.

Same time there are folks whose job is to concentrate on that.

I realise that is in a perfect situation which you don't always get, but we do place some emphasis on our wounded.

I once spent a long time waiting on a medivac I had to call for myself and a few others.

Knowing your leadership is going to let you bleed does not inspire a lot of confidence.

"The older I get, the better I was."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.