M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who manufactures the best forged receiver quality wise to start an m14 project build from?

Who's parts would you use??

Receiver

Bolt

Op rod

Gas tube

Gas piston

Barrel

springs

trigger assembly

sights

stock

handguard

If you were building a top of the line m1a/m14 with no limit on the cost of the parts?

·
"Death From Above"
11,935 Posts
LRB lugged receiver USGI part a sadlak tin piston and sadlak op rod spring guide. Krieger heavy Barrel. Mcmilan stocks. Have several with this combination and they are all very accurate all but one has all the match mods and it sits unbedded in a walnut gi stock. That rifle in its own right is still very accurate. It really comes down to what you see in your minds eye for a final configuration. Each of us has there own tastes and you will be getting many different replies.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,820 Posts
Best forged receiver - LRB without question.

Bolt - Any GI bolt in sevicable condition or LRB new forged bolt.

Op rod - GI, any make.

Gas cylinder - GI

Gas piston - New GI or Sadlak TN.

Barrel - Criterion or Krieger.

Springs - New GI, Wolfe, or Tubb's.

Trigger group - GI

Sights - GI, GI NM, or SEI NM.

Stock - Boyds' walnut or laminated.

Hnad guard - GI.

There are other options that are desirable depending on the configuration you want and how you plan to use the rifle. McMillan stocks, heavier barrels, tactical accessories for specific applications. The parts I outlined are mostly for standard style builds.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
$1500-$2500+ in parts depending on what you use. Labor probaly vary's quite a bit in what you want done and by who.
Fulton rec. on sale $400 vs LRB m25 $950
New SAI barrel $200 vs new Kreiger $450
Stock - Too many options to list up to close to a grand. Bedded or not. EBR?
Sights vary from less than $200 to well over double that.
Unitized GC vs not
Nobody said it is cheap/very rough estimate.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm talking that one special gun purchase. I been a plain jane gun guy for all my life and now the one on my bucket list is an M14 built with all the top shelf parts. I was just wondering what the rough estimate would be price wise? Ted Browns list does look good. Bill

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ted is one to trust for sure.
When you say 'the one' I would just say the one for what exactly.
The one tactical M1A is completely different from the one high power XTC rifle.

Decide the purpose first. Some things are the same either way (bolt, op-rod, trigger group, piston, guide) but some are very different (barrel, stock, flash suppressor).

My 'the one' was a super match with pretty much follows Ted's list
Barrel was the heavy chrome moly kreiger from the group buy
Stock was the NM profile Boyds (steel bedded)
Difference was I used an SA rear lug receiver as I have always had good luck with them.
Sadlak spring guide also, liked the Tubb springs
I liked the SA NM sights as they have the ball bearing, not sure if SEI do or not. (also I got the SA sights at Camp Perry where SA was selling them for $125).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best forged receiver - LRB without question....................................OK

Bolt -LRB new forged bolt.............................................................OK

Op rod - GI, any make..................................................................OK

Gas cylinder - GI..........................................................................OK

Gas piston - New GI or Sadlak TN.............need to choose the best one maybe tin plated or a hard industrial chrome plating, sadlak?

Barrel - Criterion or Krieger...............are there more choices, a better heavy barrel thats has a chrome lining? If the barrel is thicker we'll possibly need a larger Op Rod Guide Block

Springs - New Tubb's.....................................................................OK

Trigger group - GI..................................is there a better NM or adjustable trigger available?

Sights - GI, GI NM, or SEI NM. a USGI NM rear sight with the night front sight, or is there a better setup for a low light condition?

Stock - Boyds' walnut or laminated. (below)

I'm thinking a wood stock made out of Bastone walnut / http://westtexasarmory.com/WTAwoodstocks.htm There's nothing like doing a great build on an awesome piece of wood. There's nothing like a piece of good looking wood that speaks out to you when you look at it. Where putting the top quality parts into it so why not go for the gusto on the wood stock/handguard too.

Hand guard - GI. Probably bastone walnut too for the handguard.

No tactical stuff its just a build with the tops in quality parts, forged receiver/bolt, heavier super accurate chrome lined bore barrel, Night sights(low light) and the bastone wood. Can i make it any better? What would you add or change? A ballpark figure on building this any thoughts on how much i can cost me? Bill

·
Registered
914 Posts
Good wish list, Bill!

Your component wish list is admirble, esp,.. if you just want a darned good but also very attractive shooter, one that you might well have to use in a social sitch one day, but that is not all tricked out with, literally, acres of 1913 Pic-rail to mount everything you've ever dreamed you might want to mount:

pencil sharpener, light rail, night-sight, bipod, verticle hand grip, cigarette/cigar lighter, folding stock with adjustable fully cushioned seat and cup holder, hand warmer and extra 50 round clip holders (two minimum...). GI3

All of which, IMHO, looks gawd-awful if it's not for a true Tac-Unit rifle destined for the front lines. For that you pick up a good DaeWoo or Czech AK-74 or 47, or just drag along your new custom build wood stocked M1A (as you well know, laminated wood does resist warpage real well and also, IMHO, looks very nice! But also some Bastogne walnut is awesome, all hand-oiled and buffed down as you sit and watch another thrilling episode of Oprah....).

Go fur it, Bill! (PS: I pretty much know what you're looking for since you 'fessed up 'bout all them 6.5 Swedes! My kind of guy!)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait one minute now thems swedish blondes are my first loves for accurate surplus military rifles. The swiss chocolate K31's don't even temp me away from my swedish blondes but there close too. The swiss k31's are kicking butt at camp perry in the matches. I have read about there 1/2" to 3/4" groups using the swiss GP 11 ammo this surplus ammo is considered as good as match grade ammo. I tucked away a few of the swiss k31's but i never shot one yet (benmchrested it). I been buying the swiss GP11 ammo but its not cheap.

I'm just not into the tactical looking guns thats not me even if they had a fridge, a micro wave, swiss army knife and can opener on the racks too. Its ok for others to do if thats what they like. But i like the goodies with the barreled receiver on the inside. I just want to shoot paper with it very accurately thats all my challange is me against myself. When i do this build its for me and me only. I never look for any approval from anyone else i beat to my own drum in my own mind, I'm a loner anyway.(disabled) My sons will shoot it too.
Just kidding; Bill

BTW; There's nothing that beats the look of a solid steel machined receiver in a good piece of wood. Yup i was one of those new to the sks guys when they first arrived here who went out and got all the tricked out parts and assembled it and then realized mine looked silly so i put it back to its orginal condition which it remains to this day. There's just something about the real wood on a rifle.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
BigBill. I don't want to give quotes for someone else, but from a good builder, I would expect to be somewhere around 3K, and go up as you add more high quality parts and customization. But call a builder and talk to them about what you're thinking about. I doubt any of them will feel that you're bothering them for inquiring about a build. Lots of good leads to good builders on hear.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Best forged receiver - LRB without question.

Bolt - Any GI bolt in sevicable condition or LRB new forged bolt.

Op rod - GI, any make.

Gas cylinder - GI

Gas piston - New GI or Sadlak TN.

Barrel - Criterion or Krieger.

Springs - New GI, Wolfe, or Tubb's.

Trigger group - GI

Sights - GI, GI NM, or SEI NM.

Stock - Boyds' walnut or laminated.

Hnad guard - GI.

There are other options that are desirable depending on the configuration you want and how you plan to use the rifle. McMillan stocks, heavier barrels, tactical accessories for specific applications. The parts I outlined are mostly for standard style builds.

i would tend to agree with ted on all his choices and recommendations except two of them. i would not use wolfe springs because of power ratings on them. and i would have to disagree with receiver choice. this is based upon "recent" offerings from lrb and 762mm. i can definatively say 762 wins out, hands down, from my personal experience and inspections. all the recent specifications of both suppliers has shown that the 762 receivers are much much closer to g.i. spec. than lrb. in many cases, right on the money with g.i. specs. this did not hold true with lrb receivers and had to be sent back for issues that caused them to be un-buildable. buy one of each and see for yourself in a side by side comparison. and if you do, please post findings here on the forum to re-enforce my findings. thanx.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
If it were only between forged receivers, I would also go with a 7.62mm receiver forged receiver. We built one up recently and it mirrored M14xman's comments.

I would also point out that 7.62mm has a LIFETIME warranty VS LRB's warranty is only good for a single year and THAT is void if anyone but them builds or works on the rifle - this by the warranty on LRB"s own website.

Of course, I would also consider an SEI or Fulton receiver as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.