M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a look at my new 7.62MM forged receiver today.. It shipped very quickly, so good job guys.. I had to remind them on the phone when they called me about the FFL.. about their web site's offer of Free shipping on the forged receivers...but they did the right thing and didn't charge shipping... Now for the bad news.. The receiver is kinda rough, a lot of machine milling marks..where the cutter didn't cut cleanly..and a lot of sharp burs left as well where they failed to debur the receiver in spots.. it would have been nice if they had deburred it prior to park- phosphate finish.. both of those are minor sins.. you'll never see the machine marks when it's built as the stock will cover it, but then again it is a $700 receiver... the proof will be when I build it up and see how it goes.. if it screws together on a USGI barrel and indexes and head-spaces, all will be forgiven.. I'll be happy as a clam.. I'm not sure which barrel I'll use, I have a Winchester and a SAK.. and a Chrome lined Chinese tube I got off a Fed Ord rifle.. I'll have to draw straw's.. LOL B2B

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
From what I have heard the machine marks are kinda common with forgings. I know my poly has machine marks on it. Not sure on the LRB forgings but from what I have heard they are about a year wait along with another $300 in cost.

If she times well to a barrel then all is good.

Also on that chicom barrel you are probably going to headspace long. I know the chrome lined GI barrels headspace short on the chicom rifles so it should be the opposite with a chicom barrel and US reciever. That is the norm anyways.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
My 7.62 build is coming tomorrow on the BWT so once I get some time I'll do an eval and a range report. I'm on my graveyards until next Thursday so not much will get done until that weekend.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'd expect machine marks on a Chinese gun.. the Chines parts are very rough.. they don't do much fit and finish work, but their parts are very good, they get a bad rap because some are on the soft rockwell side and some have different dims.. The Chinese barrel I own has head spaced fine with a USGI barrel when I tested it..on a different rifle. now the two Chinese bolts I have, (new) are undersized. So you may be right about long and short HS issues.. I didn't think LRB sold just the receivers..The group buy on this site stated only barred actions.. or (LRB) had to do the barreling etc SO I WENT WITH 762MM Firearms (elite tactical ohio) .. I would have gone with an LRB receiver but I'd rather do my own barreling..work. I understand that 762MM is a new m14 company and they will have some growing pains and hand deburring cost extra labor $$.. 762 made a product and it will come out what it looks like and how it functions.. So far I've read about some poor customer service and such..they need to get that straightened out real quick..The free market is a good thing I like to see more than one company build forged receivers..IN THE USA..it will make real jobs and products we need.. it is great to see them making parts also.. the USGI parts are nearly gone.. I'd love to build a All New M-14 rifle with zero old USGI parts and test it out. B2B

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
If it's "below the woodline" roughness, well, it can't be any worse than you'll see on WW II Winchesters and '50's IHC Garands. And those receivers were 100% forged.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
If it's "below the woodline" roughness, well, it can't be any worse than you'll see on WW II Winchesters and '50's IHC Garands. And those receivers were 100% forged.
Excuse Me. Winchester was notorious for there poor machining
I have 13 IHC,s and there machining is outstanding
Just had to Clear the Air
and soon I will be ordering a 7.62 receiver

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Excuse Me. Winchester was notorious for there poor machining
I have 13 IHC,s and there machining is outstanding
Just had to Clear the Air
and soon I will be ordering a 7.62 receiver
I've only had two IHC's, didn't keep either of them long. I'm glad yours are nice. I don't see any daylight between us on the Pugsley Winchesters.

Good luck w/ your 7.62.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Gebtlemen, Lets keep this thread "on topic"

Topic in case you weren't paying attention is 7.62MM receivers. The area of discussion is machining marks on THEIR receiver.

PMs sentGI4

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
marks

To the OP.....If you get your hands on, or have one, take a USGI trigger group apart, completely. Take the housing in your left hand facing just like it does in the rifle, check the machining marks on the inside left of it. They look like where a Hawk caught a chicken......gall dang mess......I have learned to love each individual swirl and line from the machining knives and various tools. Sometimes I sit and think about what kind of fine lookin woman was running the machine and supporting 4 kids while her husband was off fighting communism.

The receivers are not meant to be slick as glass, if they were, they would not hold oil well, and the same goes for all the other parts.....Here's the good news..after shooting 6 or 20,000 rounds through it, and many cleanings and rubbing down with oil, the finish will have character, ....so will you.....Did I mention that if you would like to send off for another one....I'll take this one GI1

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
From what I have heard the machine marks are kinda common with forgings. I know my poly has machine marks on it. Not sure on the LRB forgings but from what I have heard they are about a year wait along with another $300 in cost.

If she times well to a barrel then all is good.

Also on that chicom barrel you are probably going to headspace long. I know the chrome lined GI barrels headspace short on the chicom rifles so it should be the opposite with a chicom barrel and US reciever. That is the norm anyways.
Machining marks are not just common to forgings. There are many variables to consider.The type of steel, the quality of the cutting tool, Machine rigidity, proper set up,speeds and feeds etc. Low carbon steels like 8620 (M14 receiver) 1018 and others machine relativly easy but they do tend not to have the best surface finish.Higher quality tool steels like A2, D2,S7 are alittle more difficult to machine ,but generally give a much better surface finish.Its just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yeah, I would think in the case of 762 with their earlier receivers it was probably machine setup or maybe worn tooling. Pure speculation. From the photos I've seen lately, though, it looks like they've resolved most of those issues.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yeah, I would think in the case of 762 with their earlier receivers it was probably machine setup or maybe worn tooling. Pure speculation. From the photos I've seen lately, though, it looks like they've resolved most of those issues.
My guess would be they were pushing their equipment to the limit in order to bring their product to market ASAP. IMO they released their receivers too soon. Perfect your processes and then release your product to the public. If you dont it will only cost you money in the end by having to deal with bad press and customer complaints and having to scrap inventory due to poor QC.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Guys, if there are no pictures, it did not happen. Come on, lots of us are just dying to see the improvements made on the 762 products. I have one on the way and hope to post late next week. But in the meanwhile, those who have them need to share.....GI2

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll post some pictures as soon as I get my receiver it is still at my FFL dealer..in jail for 10 days.. as a stripped receiver is so dangerous the state fears it may barrel it's self up, load up and go on a rampage..LOL.. B2B

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
My delivery got pushed back to Monday Dec. 7th, Pearl Harbor Day. Very fitting somehow, even though the M14 wasn't around then it's parent, the M1 Garand was. I will try to post some pics of the build when I get it and do an in depth review as time allows. I'm on my graveyards until Thursday and not much of consequence gets done at home.

For you WA state members, if we have a get together on Saturday the 11th I'll bring it and some ammo along and all can have a few shots downrange (no bribe intended, insert evil grin here).

I have second receiver coming also and when I talked to Nathan at the factory he says that 7.62 has caught up with production and actually have some extras on the shelf so now would be a good time to get an order in!

I'll start my own post when the rifle arrives. Cheers!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I looked at a LRB receiver and my 762MM receiver side by side today at my FFL dealers.. The LRB is really really nice as far as machining marks of lack there of.. it looking to almost have no machine marks.. I was impressed.. but I ordered and received a 762MM receiver.. as my dealer said it will build up into a nice rifle.. I think I can live with that.. B2B

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I picked up My 7.62MM forged receiver today. I also sent 762MM a note (email) I'll follow up with a phone call.. as they DID charge me shipping.. Was supposed to be free Shipping.. We will have to get that straight.. USGI trigger group and the op rod H&R fit the receiver perfectly.. no fitting required.. that is nice..

Now for the good part.. some detailed pictures..

M-14 762mm receiver

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Those tool marks do not look bad, it actually looks nice. Besides it will be under the wood. The Garands I have has similar tool markings.

Thinking about the tool markings a little more and it may just make the rifle look more authentic USGI. I like that presence.
I just ordered my group buy, I hope that mine looks similar to yours.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts