M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Excellent rifles and should be tried by all who have interest in the 308 battle rifles. Concensus seems to be the earlier manufactured ones built with steyr parts are the cadillacs and most accurate.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I had a PTR GI. It was a fun rifle and has historic lineage going right back to WWII. The rifles are beasts not the smoothness of the FAL or M1A. They are easy to maintain and mine worked without a hicup. Fairly accurate. I’d like to have another one. Only problem that I didn’t like is its a delayed blowback weapon so there is a lot of soot and gas coming out the ejection port pretty close to your face. I used to take it to the range when wind was from behind me or hold my breath for a few seconds each round. Not quite as tight a group as the FAL
Font Recreation Precision sports Circle Shooting

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
I have the PTR F model, with the heavy 1/10 barrel and integral rail. Added a linear comp and a Magpul adjustable stock with the heavy buffer. One day I'll put a Steiner 5x on it to see what it can really do, but I can hit the steel at 100 offhand every time and at 200 most of the time. The blowback action will eat anything you feed. You don't have to worry about picking up brass, because you will never find it.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the PTR F model, with the heavy 1/10 barrel and integral rail. Added a linear comp and a Magpul adjustable stock with the heavy buffer. One day I'll put a Steiner 5x on it to see what it can really do, but I can hit the steel at 100 offhand every time and at 200 most of the time. The blowback action will eat anything you feed. You don't have to worry about picking up brass, because you will never find it.
Do you have a picture you can share?

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Do you have a picture you can share?
Believe this is the same model Kurt referenced with the integrated rail and heavy barrel. Mine has the Magpul PSR stock. With the Burris 1-6 DMR optic she’s good for 1 1/2-2 MOA with decent milsurp ammo. The heavy trigger limits its potential for accuracy IMHO. Mine has got to be 7-8 lbs of pull.
If you plan to shoot a lot and decide to go with the PTR, Cetme, G3 rifles, learn how to change out the bolt rollers. It’s necessary maintenance to maintain a safe bolt gap on this blowback design.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Only problem that I didn’t like is its a delayed blowback weapon so there is a lot of soot and gas coming out the ejection port pretty close to your face.
Guys at PTR said they didn't like AR platform guns because they were over gassed and blew crap all over you.

They were gonna build me a custom, but there was a pretty big shake up about that time and my wife got hurt badly soon after

Reactions: Tom Paine

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Thanks Gentlemen.
I would imagine that the trigger could be worked with by a gun smith or aftermarket trigger...?
Bill Springfield at triggerwork.net can tune it down from the original 10 lbs to about half that. I think he charges about $70.

I haven't found a need to do so yet, as I was trained on heavy triggers. I will consider it if I scope the rifle and feel a need to hit small targets at long ranges.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Bill Springfield at triggerwork.net can tune it down from the original 10 lbs to about half that. I think he charges about $70.

I haven't found a need to do so yet, as I was trained on heavy triggers. I will consider it if I scope the rifle and feel a need to hit small targets at long ranges.
PTR will or use to, tune triggers if you sent them the gun or brought it in.

Reactions: Tom Paine
1 - 20 of 40 Posts