M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
The whole thing was hilarious, even it were about designing a new toaster oven, but the best part was "we're having a problem with testing. We can't get through 500 rounds without a malfunction, so we're going to call it a break in period. We got the idea from Kimber."

Hgunner said:
HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.
I'll grant you that Heckler & Koch clearly thinks that civilian customers suck, but I don't think that they care enough about us to hate us. They do make some damn good firearms though.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The whole thing was hilarious, even it were about designing a new toaster oven, but the best part was "we're having a problem with testing. We can't get through 500 rounds without a malfunction, so we're going to call it a break in period. We got the idea from Kimber."

I'll grant you that Heckler & Koch clearly thinks that civilian customers suck, but I don't think that they care enough about us to hate us. They do make some damn good firearms though.

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2007/10/09/hk-because-you-suck-and-we-hate-you/

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I've had my G23 since 2004. I've probably put at LEAST 250 rounds through it. If that's not a testament to reliability and durability I don't know what is...

:)

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've had my G23 since 2004. I've probably put at LEAST 250 rounds through it. If that's not a testament to reliability and durability I don't know what is...

:)
I hope you mean 250K or 25K because 250 rounds is just a couple hours on a good day and 2500 is about what I shoot in 3 months.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
No I really mean 250 rounds. Guessing I've shot it 5 to 7 times, 50 rounds (maybe) each time.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Wow, that's less than twice a year. I enjoy my FNP too much to go that long between range sessions.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
That was funny, but the writer really needs to get over it. H&K doesn't hate him - they just don't care!

Also, Sig Sauers don't cost significantly less than H&Ks. Personally, I consider them on a par in terms of quality. When I bought my USP Compact, it was because I liked the "Type 1" manual thumb safety and it just felt better to me than the Sigs available back then. It still feels "right" to me and the single-action trigger is fine. "Compact" it ain't.

I do have to add that the H&K 45 is a ridiculous pistol for me. I've got medium-large hands and had a hard time finding the safety with my thumb. Forget about the mag release. And it is HUGE! For no apparent reason.

I bought an H&K P2000sk a couple of years ago because I wanted a second, smaller pistol chambered in .357 SIG. There were two triggers available. I liked the LEM ("law enforcement model") better than the other. Unfortunately, it's unlike any other pistol trigger I have and I just can't get used to it. Need to sell that gun.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think what gets me about Glock most is the elitist attitude (kinda like H&K). Any company that claims "perfection" as their slogan could use a big pot of humble soup, IMO. I do have issues with their weapon, but those are more personal.

I really don't get the Germanic manufacturer superiority complex thing. Czechs make nice things, and they're not so damn snooty about it. Steyr doesn't seem too bad about it I guess, but I love how their website's history completely skips over WWII GI7. I've got a receiver stamped "bnz 43" as evidence!

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Glock is Austrian.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I know, just parroting what I've heard fan boys point out. GI2

Reactions: LausDeo

·
Registered
209 Posts
There is no superiority complex among us germans about our engineering competency.

Just trying to get the best out of of the given circumstances.

Glock's "Perfection" is a marketing slogan, such as S&W's
"Say it with love. Say it with a gun." to market their product.

H&K's target market is the military, if you don't like it, don't buy it, simple as that.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
There is no superiority complex among us germans about our engineering competency.

Just trying to get the best out of of the given circumstances.

Glock's "Perfection" is a marketing slogan, such as S&W's
"Say it with love. Say it with a gun." to market their product.

H&K's target market is the military, if you don't like it, don't buy it, simple as that.
Not saying all Germans are like this, just saying it's a trend among modern Germanic firearms manufacturers. I'm very grateful Steyr cranked out my 98k back in 1943, though it seems they'd be ashamed to admit that today. There is something to be said for German engineers, that's for sure. Wilhelm & Paul Mauser were Germans. Anyone who knows anything about a Panther tank's suspension suspension system alone can stand in awe, considering the technology of the time. I just don't like when pride is taken so far that criticisms are scoffed at rather than taken for whatever value they hold.

It also personally rubs my gears when someone claims perfection. Nothing is perfect, and nothing ever will be. I know it's just advertising but still, it fits with the ego issue. Claiming you're the closest thing to perfect is acceptable, for advertising a product.

I also understand my capitalist power in choosing who not to patronize. That doesn't mean I cant explain what my issues are. Who knows, maybe their next CEO will take complaints into consideration, just look at Ruger.

Please don't think I'm categorizing Germans as snobbish, I'm just pointing out a trend among modern arms manufacturers from that region. Czechs make nice things too, they just do it without the attitude. The pre-war Germanic manufacturers like Steyr, Mauser and Walther don't have the attitude problem either. Hell, Mauser only does hunting rifles now it seems.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Understood. Think about the slogan "Perfection" in a way, that you as a buyer got something, that (according to whatever standards) got perfectionized (is that a word).
And who would not like to have something/own, that is just perfect.
Truly a very bold statement. For me, my 21 never failed, though I am only sport shooter.

I look at it that way, that as soon, as my Glock fails me, I will contact Glock and gently ask, why their "perfect" product had a FTF/FTE. Not really waiting for it, but it's nice to have a backup plan. Ruger's new policy is awesome by the way.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I take less of an issue with how gun manufacturers advertise than with how fan boys take those slogans as gospel and treat anyone that disagrees with them as heretics. That doesn't happen often here but at some of the company specific forums, it's plain to see how childish grown men can behave.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts