M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had some big and long talks on the subject of barrel twist vs. length - ok 1/10 vs. 1/11.25 twist with both 16'' vs. 20'' length ..the faster twist for the shorter barrel is better due the length bullet but better burn ,it will help over all use ...??

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Hi CZ777! Not sure if this helps, but my Armalite AR-10 T (Target) came with a 24" 1:11.25. I'd guess they worked out the ratio and determined this to be a good combination. Pretty much a MOA rifle at 100 yards with FGMM.

Regards, Jim

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Just learned something new the otherday. I was always under the impression you use a faster twist for heavier bullets but USMC2236 pointed out that it's not the heavier weight associated with the bullet but the longer lenght of the bullet that warrants the faster twist. The overall lenght of the barrel from what I understand simply has to due with the volocity. The longer the barrel the more velocity. For example, I have a 28 inch Krieger varmatch barrel on one of my AR-15's it is a 1/7.7 twist and I am shooting 75 grain SMK BTHP bullets. I am also shooting 175 grain SMK's through a 1/10 twist Krieger heavy contour M14 barrel. Hope this gives you some idea what your looking for.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why i made this post is...

i have been shooting for a long time due health reasons stopped for awhile . i have seen abit of trouble with the 1/10 twist with shorter bullets like the groups opening up like with 147 grain nato vs. 168/175 grain ,now with 1/11.25 its a lot better overall for the range of 147 to 175 grain ..a better meaning of statement was in order ,sorry . thxs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts