M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think we have all mentioned it before, but it might need reminding:

Now would be a good time to visit your local LDS cannery and load up on about ~$100 - ~$200 of staple goods. The quick oats alone this winter have been a god send with all the power outages and storms.

Btw, they just raised their prices for a 3rd time in 6 months, but are still a better value than emergency essentials.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Didn't even look at the links, but we are going to face shortages. I heard a report which I believe said the US corn crop was 15% less for human consuption because it was grown for ethenol. I run a food business and I'm getting reports on the availability and quality issues of produce. The price of produce is getting higher and the quality is going down. It is reported its because of fungus and temp issues.

I think we are getting set up with the big lie. To take this one step further, it is colder then normal in Texas, thats a fact. The electric companies are warning of rolling power outages because of the increased demand. However I know my home uses less power to run the furnace then it takes to run the AC. We run the AC on the hotest days without warnings of rolling blackouts. So what are we getting set up for?? Higher rates and or the utility companys saying they need to build new plants.

Something smells with the food and energy situation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The links all worked for me fine.

Heirloom seeds, make sure you have yours. The LDS cannery is a must but to sustain food you must have non-altered seed to plant strong crops.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Yes, the links are working now.

Ofcourse food is going up. Its because of the greedy oil companies.

HH

·
Registered
690 Posts
Today on the news a commentator stated that Saudi Arabia was doubling this years stockpiles of wheat, and other countries are increasing their reserves as well.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The future is uncertain, but I wouldn't panic. I purchased a fair quantity of hard red winter wheat last spring. Not enough and I'll accumulate more, probably in the summer of 2012 when I expect prices to drop again. But, they will continue to rise for the next year. With so many people in the world and more and more government controls everywhere, the long term trend is up on all commodities.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have been watching the price of food go up signifigantly for almost two years now and finally mass media is paying attention.

I second the LDS church resources. I am not a member, but when my local feed and seed store quit carrying wheat, they gladly helped me out by letting me tag on to one of their bulk purchases.

HD

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your local LDS cannery is a great source but there are only 90 canneries for them nation wide (from what I was told). If there is not one close to you, go to their online store and open an account. You can get great staples packaged for 30 year storage in #10 cans. The price is great and shipping is free. You do not have to be an LDS member either. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts