M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also comes down to the food placed in it & duration.

4, 5, 1, & 2 are fine for water. If you are collecting food from a garden to take back & process within a day or two they are fine. And most people that use them for long term food storeage are going to divide that food into sections putting in freezer or mylar bags & also will be fine.

My question would be what type food would be stored in a bucket that would have contact with the bucket & that you can have a positive lid seal? And most things that a restaurant or bakery use such buckets for the contents need refrigerated after breaking the factory seal.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
What I have seen common around here are 5 gallon pickle buckets and 55 gallon tomato sauce barrels. Not sure about the barrels they may use a liner, I also know that bakery items come in 5 gallon buckets including pre mixed dough that has to stay refrigerated even before opening. Tractor Supply is now advertising their buckets as food grade and at a reasonable price. Using mylar liners seems the best way to go though.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If it is for food/drinking I always use used food grade pails/buckets/totes.

Some of my water collection for the garden is not food grade but I know not to use those for drinking water.

I use pickle buckets to make my pickles and saurkraut.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I do try to avoid plastic whenever possible, something that started because it leaves a taste in water after more than an hour of storage. The only exception I ever found to that were genuine army canteens, but they would do it too after a couple of days. Not sure I've ever picked that taste up in food stored in plastic, but I have the prejudice big time.

Speaking of plastic, there was the craze for the (sort of) taste free Lexan plastic water bottles, everybody who worked out had to have one, everyone walking more than 25 feet carried one, and then they all got scared and threw them away because of their supposedly dangerous BPA content. Give me metal or glass any day.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My local hardware store often have food grade buckets with lids for $3.50. They usually have 55gal barrels for 20 or $25. Barrels normally held syrup of some type.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.